Get that practice room together

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Jun 12, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is not hijacking, That is what this thread is about - turning stuff in some peoples heads into useful ifo for others.

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    and if you put your case out...

3. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Ahh the computer too is my downfall... I have trouble beign productive with both composing and practicing.

I am only a child so I cant go build a room. I have to deal with what I have and waht I have contains a computer....

I recently moved my practice corner into an isolated area of my room that is kinda hard to walk out of. Its been working abit better unless my gf is online...

4. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Does this work with a closet of clothes?

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yes it does. See how far away you can get from the closet door and still have the sound "absorbed".

6. sething

sething New Friend

Apr 28, 2008
    if you want to deaden your space more, i would suggest 2" 100 sabine foam. this foam has a very level freq response and will absorb a lot of dB. if it kills your space too much i would go for more of a diffusion route. get a thinner peice of absorption material and place it on particle board and mount that on the wall, this will absorb sound and still allow a "live" room feel.

also, be cautious of buying those fancy studio foam panels that have funny shapes and colors. these are usually out performed by much cheaper and uglier foam. ill have to read through my notes ill try and post a website to get these peices from.

7. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Tempo,For the walls 2 inch solid foam panels were used.The ceiling got six inch fiberglass.It does a great job in isolating the sound from upstairs.I picked the back of the basement for the room so that three of the four walls are the solid concrete foundation walls.You probally would have to use materials specificly for sound proofing if you were doing this on the same floor the rest of your family resides though.Hope this helps.

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We got moved. I though a practice room would be considered equipment. Sorry!

9. Doc Nelson

Doc Nelson Pianissimo User

May 7, 2008
    Portland, TX
    Do I want to know where your trumpet was?

10. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    He might have a chance. Marilyn Chambers might have slowed down a little in the last thirty years.