Gettin' old

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Solar Bell, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    WOW!!!!

35 years ago today I graduated from high school!!!!!

I need a nap!

-cw-

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for putting things in perspective for me. I was feel old graduating high school 9 years ago yesterday.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thirty two years ago for me... what a wonderful time that was.

Blood, Sweat, and Tears, Chicago, Chase was still alive. Chicago and Bud with Solti was the rage... Vacchiano would announce his retirement and Gerry Schwarz was the new guy... the other principals were Gil Johnson in Pilly, Mundi Ghitalla in Boston....

Good night. I stopped at Mundi because they finished the second movement of the 8th symphony when I hear "Trumpets and tympani, on stage please... trumpets and tympani..." . They were ready to do the final movement and here I was ruminating over halcyon days gone by. Sheesh!

Anyway, Bernie Adelstein was in Cleveland and Bernstein was still on the podium in NYC. A fiddler named Itzhak Perlman was tearing up the concert stage and the Mets were getting ready to win their second pennant. Willie Mays was now playing with them.

Wynton Marsalis was 14 and Doc was about 45. The International Trumpet Guild would not be in existence until four years later. Herbert Von Karajan was the music director of the Berlin Philharmonic. The London Syphony would come to be known by all Americans as the orchestra that played the Star Wars Music in four more years. People wrote music by hand and erased their mistakes with a rubber eraser.

A young tenor named Luciano Pavarotti was making a name for himself in Italy and would presently join the Metropolitan in a few short years. In just one year, the word "Godfather" would never be the same. In that same year, people would curb their trips to ocean beaches for fear of being attacked by a Great White shark. Duke Ellington became the first black jazz artist to be feted by Richard Nixon at the White House and would receive an award personally by that president.

Charlie Schlueter was ending his first season with the Minnesota Orchestra. I was getting ready to study with Rob Roy McGregor, of the Baltimore Symphony, at the Eastern Music Festival that summer. Corvettes were twenty years old.

Yeah, what a time.

ML

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's been 16 years for me - where has the time gone? And where did this wife and these two kids come from? :lol:

I can't recall where I thought I would be at this point in my life back in 1989, but I can tell you that I never figured that I would be working with computers, and I sure as heck didn't think that I would be working in the Baltimore/DC area.

And I don't feel like I'm almost 35 years old. 25 maybe, but 35!?

5. Solar Bell

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah Manny,

What a time....1970

Chicago, BST, could you imagine Chicago with the BST horns?
    Beatles were big, and I was heavy into Jimmy Smith and that high output Hammond B3.
    Don't forget about Laugh-In those guys were GREAT!
    Dan Rowen, Dick Martin, Artie Johnson, Pat Paulson, Ruth Buzzy, Henry Gibson, Judy Carne, Goldie Hawn, Flip Wilson, and more!
    The "Big Time" entertainers were all on TV...Dean Martin had everybody from Sintra to Sammy Davis, every week. One of my favorites was on the Andy Griffin show, (I think) Al Hirt was playing Dixieland in a saloon, the bar doors burst open and in walked a gunslinger. He pulls back his vest and his gun belt is filled with not bullets, but mouthpieces. He pulls one out, slammed it in his horn and they went at it. Hirt played a career's worth of notes and the guy falls down and they carry him out. Funny bit.
    I also pulled number 236 in the draft lottery, meaning I probably would not have to go. Hello University of Michigan, music major. (performance trumpet, and Dr. Revelli was SCAREY!) But noooooo, instead, armed with letters of introduction and recommendation from Chuck Peterson and Mannie Klein, I was off the Great Lakes then Annapolis for the Navy Band.
    And Maynard was really blowin' back then. So was Miles.
    I'm gonna get teary eyed thinking of all that.

And... I was driving a 1967 Plymouth GTX withy a REAL HEMI, 426 cubic inches of it.

You're right Manny....what a great time!

-cw-

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You played at the Annapolis Academy Band? Very cool. Do you know Ray Ascione (sp) Sr. or Byron Tony? Both of those guys were career Navy bandsman and Ray Ascione was the Band Leader there. I went through the Armed Forces School of Music with Ray Ascione Jr - we were both in class 50 in 1989 - 90.

I'm not trying to make you guys feel old or anything, but I was born in 1970. :D

7. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Manny,

32 years ago, I was graduating Northeastern University and starting my career with the Army. Time sure does fly the older we get.

Gary

8. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    38 yr. ago for me - I wasn't feeling to bad until you started this post. my body is 56 and my brain thinks it is 17, what a combination. lol old geezer Dave :cool:

9. Solar Bell

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah, almost, no basic training, paid musician, it was great until a blood disorder made them decide that the Armed Forces didn't need me THAT bad. I pleaded but they said "see ya Charlie".
    So started playing professionally again.

10. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ

It was great for you guys to list what was hot... what a time capsule
    For me it's been 27 years.... and for all of you that said this... you are right... time does fly...
    It makes you realize that none of us should put off until tomorrow...
    I'm glad i got hear some of those artist live....
    We picked up a DVD of a live concert by the group YES on sale... I remember going to see them live when I was in High School.... I remember getting really freaked out when everyone around me started lighting up.... I was getting high from just sitting there.
    Seeing Maynard in his prime.. well, his second prime... (I think the first one was when he was still doing tons of improv).
    Seeing Doc live... Doc has remained in his prime...
    Never got to see BST live... but I did see Chicago live several times...
    Beach Boys when they could still sing... (sorry)
    KC and the Sunshine Band
    Earth Wind & Fire

wow.... I'm gonna need to get some old LP's out tonight