Getting a "Mature" Tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetTheKid, May 16, 2011.

1. rainbowboy023

rainbowboy023 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    I don't mean this in a bad way or as an insult, but your tone sounds immature because you are immature (as in young and inexperienced not as foolish) you can be the hardest worker but you wont sound mature until you are mature and have more experience, so just keep on working hard and try to play as much as you can.

2. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Rainbow is on the right track. Your musical taste as a whole have to develop. You will probably strife for different tones/palletes as you get older. I remember a older topic people discussed how there taste evolved with age. I know mine as as my ear improves I find that I like some artist that I use to not be able to appreciate and find other not as satisfying as they sounded to me when I was younger. This is a good thing getting complacent isn't a good thing if you are getting better someone else is.

Also if you have a microphone and audacity try recording yourself playing something you think you play well. You will quickly find you that you are probably your toughest judge.

3. TrumpetTheKid

TrumpetTheKid Pianissimo User

May 1, 2011
    Sacramento Area
    Thanks for all the replies, so would you consider listening to a solo trumpet recording and playing along trying to blend with the artist on the recording a good way to try to emulate someones tone and style, I've done this 2 or 3 times so far, should keep on doing this?

4. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Yes! But as Rowuk said the best way to develop this sound and sense of musical expression is to PLAY with people better than yourself.

5. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Yeah, that's a good thing to do. And, I think AKtrumpet is right. Play with those better than you so it will be easier to improve yourself. (e.g. when it comes time to choose a college and if you want to major in music, choose the best possible school; possibly even at the cost of turning down scholarships at lesser schools)

There is one thing about listening to players, as opposed to playing with them, though... you cannot hear them quite the same way when sitting alongside them. I'm not saying it's any less effective, though.

I guess the point is you should start to DIVERSIFY your learning methods! But I'm telling you... listening to trumpet players and emulating their sound (and style) caused my tone to improve dramatically in three months time. It didn't keep going on like that forever, though... I hit a wall sort of.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Have you heard a recording your sound? Perhaps your immature sound is all in your head... the sound transmitted from facial vibrations, vibrating the bones around your cochlear system that does provide a different sound an individual hears from the sound other's hear.

I would recommend answering this question before you launch your technical skills toward acquiring a sound that is already there.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is a pretty naive stand as far as I am concerned. How do these kids do it?:

YouTube - ‪Natalie Dungey - 2009‬‏
    YouTube - ‪Rubén Simeó, trompeta. Carnaval final. RTVE‬‏
    Melissas Musikleben

and outside of the trumpet world, this absolutely knocked my socks off:
    Renee Olstead

A mature sound and playing style has NOTHING to do with biology as the suzuki school for violins has been proving for decades. Mature sound and style is more based on opportunity to emulate.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I totally disagree with that. While the equipment can make a difference, the player themselves are by far more instrumental in how they sound than the equipment. Do you think even for a second if someone handed me Maynard's horn and mouthpiece that I would even remotely sound like he did?

I thought I illustrated that with the story I told about the drummers - it wasn't just their approach that was different, but it was HOW they hit the drums - completely different tone, and yet they were all playing the same drums with the same pair of sticks. That's just percussion - it doesn't even begin to be a part of the microscopic things that play a part in a person's embouchure and how that affects their sound, and a person's approach to music greatly affects the sound because of minute differences in inflection and phrasing, which are also part of a person's sound.

This is why a pro will sound like a pro on beginner equipment, and a beginner sounds like a beginner even playing the best of equipment.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think there is truth to both rowuk and patrick's perspectives. I do know the trumpet and mouthpiece combinations are important to match to open up the sound of the trumpet. I learned this during one of my lessons in NYC when visiting Jerome Callet's studio, where he hand laithed a mouthpiece for me. He totally opened the sound on my Olds Recording.

Development of embouchour, change in airflow, applying back pressure, changing lip placement all changes the sound. Just opening up the airflow for instance can give a flugel sound even to a trumpet, albeit this does take more work and effort. Use of vibrato versus flat airflow can contrast a Louis Armstrong sound from a Miles Davis sound. So I would venture to say, there is truth in both comments made in the posts above.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I stand by my comments. If we change mouthpieces for instance from a 7C to a 1 1/4C and play on that for 6 months or so and compare before/after recordings - we hear more similarities than differences. I believe that STYLE is the major difference between players.

I will also argue that the spectrum analysis of symphonic players across the world would show limited differences in fundemental/overtone distribution.

Here is some independent research on the matter. I didn't just make this up......

http://iwk.mdw.ac.at/Forschung/pdf_dateien/1997e-MB-ISMA-trumpet.pdf

Patrick, If you had Maynards equipment for a year and THEN compared, I think you would see what I mean.