Getting a Private Instructor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Jun 4, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Thanks for that bit on the tone issue in band. Today i committed a bad thing, and just played long tones as quietly as possible underneath the band. I played the same key, don't worry lol. But I did that and i put the stand in a position where the noise bounced right back to me. Within ten minutes my tone started healing, so I think Al Innella you may be correct right there.

As for the Strad its been since the beginning of March. Yet tone problems only started a week ago. I don't know really know whats going on, but im hoping that by resting this week, and then starting up by playing long tones only, I can get my tone back. I guess time to ride it out, and see what happens. But im still going to get those lessons. I really want to excel at this instrument, and eventually be first chair in both jazz and wind ensemble by the end of my high school career. With a teacher I hope I can get to that goal faster, and in a more structured manner.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    When you have a medical problem you go to a doctor. When you have a problem with the law you go to a lawyer. When you have a dental problem you go to a dentist. When you have a trumpet problem GO TO AN EXPERT. Why is that so hard? I see posts from far too many people having problems and they go around in circles trying "home remedies". Is your director a trumpet player? If not how do expect them to help you? If you are a serious student of the trumpet GET A TEACHER!

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Does anyone know of a private instructor in north new jersey, and also what should I be expecting to pay for a good instructor?