Getting a Professional job

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Feb 15, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    This is meant for Manny and any other pro players that will take the time to respond.

I think I play the trumpet rather well. I do a lot of professional jobs and some community stuff.

When I compare myself to the other players on a paying job I am at the same level or better. I'm usually not the week guy in the section. I have a stronger lip then all of them anyway.
    Manny, I have sent you recordings so you know how I play.

Well that is a brief synopsis of how I perceive myself.
    The question is:
    How can I get a job playing in one of the local symphonies.
    I do sub here and there with one. The other five or six in the area wont give me the time of day. While these symphonies use Union players there is no contract so it is up to the contractor.

There is one that I really tried hard to get into. I sent messages through friends and I sent a resume and lastly I sent a recording of me playing. If I thought somebody listened to the recording I would just say "OK I'm not good enough" but I don't think the contractor lady ever listened to it.

Any ideas?

2. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I am not a "pro" but will give a suggestion.

Try getting on the sub list. Usually all this involves is playing a short audition for the principal player. If they give you the thumbs up then the personel manager will add you to the call list.

That is what I have experienced at least....

Ill stick around and read what manny and other have to say..

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think you have a great idea. The problem is how do you get them to listen?

They already have a sub list they are happy with.

4. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    I'm not a pro either, but I would say take some lessons with the principal. Let him/her know how you play, and get to know them on a semi-personal level. I think you are much more likely to get a gig when you know people.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'm with sinfonian in that you should contact principals but don't ask for a lesson. Ask to buy a little time to play some excerpts and things for him/her.

I appreciate that more rather than a request for a lesson. It's a different mindset than playing for someone.

You're a good player with some minor adjustments to make and some experience with GOOD players will help that.

ML

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't really understand what to say when I get them on the phone .

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003

Maybe try to find one person that plays principal in the same orchestra on a regular bases and ask them for some coaching on excerpts. I don’t think you would need to say any more than that. The fact that you are looking for coaching versus lessons will tell them all they need to know.

Go and get coaching with them 2 or 3 times, if they like your playing things will happen on their own with out you cornering them about gigs.

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "Hi, my name is John Q Trumpeter and I'm interested in playing for you. I'd like to sub and/or play extra with your orchestra and would like to get a chance to play for you. If you need a reference I can give you my teacher's number and another pro who can vouch for my playing".

That's the way to do it.

ML

9. trumpetera

trumpetera Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I know that this is a sensitive issue, both for the players wanting to "get in" and the players in the orchestras.

Now, I only know how it works in my orchestra so that's the only one I can describe.

I agree with Mr. Laureano; try and play for someone in the section. Maybe my orchestra (or section-there is a misconception that orchetra "A" works like this, and orchestra "B" works like that!) is a very democratic one! We all have a definite say in which players to use, so if my collegue (tutti-player) knows or get to hear someone good, he/she has an as good a chance to get "in" as he/she would have if I (co-principal) or the solo trumpet have heard him.

Asking for a lesson (one!) is quite see-thru and will not appear as up front and honest as to ask to play some exerpts for a section member, I'd definitely go for the later!

Are there any auditions coming up in the orchestras in your area?

In our orchestra we both listen out for a winner of that perticular audition as well as good extra players at the same time, and in my book, someone who goes thru the ordeal (HORRIBLE!) to audition in the first place have a definite advantage over an as good player who didn't bother to come to the audition but rather wait for the phone to ring!

I'm NOT saying that you do this, you have apparently tried quite a few ways to get them to realize that you are there!

That is also one of the main reasons we fight hard for our right as a section to choose extra players ourselves rather than have someone on the "second floor" who often knows silch about trumpet deciding!

Hope it works out for you, freelancing is a tricky but often wonderful business ;-)! My whife is a freelancing viola player, so I see it first hand from the "other side"!

All the best!

Johan "trumpetera" Ã…kervall

Co-principal trumpet Gothenburg Opera orchestra, Sweden

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Manny,
    Are there "cattle call" sub list auditions for the MO? There were a few orchestras in Boston, including the Boston Pops, who would hold them every few years.
    Thanks,
    Jimi