Getting a real teacher :)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BustedChops, May 11, 2012.

1. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I found a teacher who has years experience...thousands of hours of practice and super chops. I'm hoping that I can work with this person at a brisk pace. I have no idea what to expect for the first lesson. I'm hoping to bring my arbans and get to work. The best aspect of this teacher is that he has transcribed hundreds of blue note works...

So if I want to learn how to play good jazz I'll be in good hands...I don't expect to do much in the first half hour. I'm affraid I might loose my patience...I suppose the first lesson will be more than likely discussion rather than instruction. I could be wrong. I just hope I can actually get a few sessions in.

2. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Good luck with the lessons. I plan to do the same once my travel schedule slows down. But as an adult learner, I refuse to play "Lightly Row"...

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you're serious about learning then you may want to get rid of all preconceived scenarios and go into your lessons with an open mind. That may mean that "Lightly Row" is necessary.

In a lesson with Roger Ingram we spent a good amount of time on Clarke #1 (chromatic exercise). Turned out to be one of the most important things we did during the lesson.

4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    A person that uses the word refuse and lesson in the same sentence is not ready to learn. I am open to any instruction given by my teacher.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Really hokey.....but remember "Wax on, wax off".

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    BC,

I would be very surprised if you talk more than you play. At the first lesson the teacher needs to hear you to get a sense of where you are.

Rather than worry about your expectations, do this. Be prepared to play something that you have been working on. It could be Mary Had a Little Lamb or Boplicity or a Clarke's study or a classical piece, as long as you have been getting to know it. Then, be prepared to discuss what you are looking to accomplish - what music you want to play, what technical challenges you think you face, and what about the trumpet drives you to play one. If you KNOW what you want, that is a huge beginning. It can be something like - "I want to play like so-and-so" or "I want to be in this kind of band" or "I want to play this song" (bring a CD). Ultimately, as an adult, you are in a position to define goals which no youngster can do. Give it some thought and have a great first lesson!

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Great move, but be careful to not bring up your expectations too high too early. Progress will still take months and years. The best teacher in the world can get out of you only what you can do. A really good one will enable you to give all you can give, but building too big a disconnect between what you can give and what you would like to give at a given moment will lead to frustration and discouragement. And no teacher can replace diligent and judicious practice. Pay attention, trust the guidance, do your work and kinda "step back" to watch it grow, without being too attached to any preconceived notion of how it should be.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It can be a time full of expectations and excitment. One thing to look for in a teacher even in the first lesson. Did you learn something about your playing? anything no matter how simple or basic. Also how nice are they. do they treat you with respect. Was the lesson about you or them. Of course it should be about you.

A good teacher can be a huge help for gaining success on the horn. Have fun and good luck.

9. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I was told one time if i ever got a lesson, to take a recording device along and record it so you can listen to it all again later. sounds like a good idea.

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    This is my experience with top notch teachers. They "heard" all the stuff we say. We say the same things within general boundries. And they know, already, our likely weaknesses. Great teacher will identifty my weaknesses, and set to remediating them through exercises, etudes, etc requiring hours of patient devotion to the horn on my end.

Fwiw, a couple months or more ago, I signed up for 13 weeks of lessons with a great teacher. My attitude was, I'm going to do what they say with no gainsaying or evaluation. Good results are ensuing, and much patient devotion and work.