Getting a to pro stage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _Lui Apprenti_, Feb 14, 2006.

1. _Lui Apprenti_

_Lui Apprenti_ New Friend

Jan 29, 2006
    I have a Buescher trumpet it doesnt sound bad, but the valves are not so good and I need to buy new one. It is a something that indicates when you need to change of trumpet (intermedio-professional)? And what trumpet (brand and model) will be the best choice to buy in a good price and with a good sound? :?:

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Luis,

There are so many choices! You have been playing a student line instrument for a while that it may be time for you to move to a professional horn, as you say.

People who don't like to work too hard like Yamaha but they can be expensive. Bach has been around for a long time. If you can go to the Conservatorio de Musica and ask to try some horns that belong to some of the students, perhaps Prof. Ramirez can arrange that. You may even be able to find a good price on some horns.

As I say, there many brands and prices. Don't be afraid of used instruments, either!

Buena suerte,

ML

3. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    :?:

Granted, I don't like to work too hard, but...

4. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta

Uh, oh! Food Fight!!

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Okay, wait up...

Hasn't the single biggest selling point traditionally and the comment heard over and over again about yammies is that they're easier to play than most other horns? That's what I've heard consistently from those that play them.

No insult was meant in the least. I'm sorry if that comment is demeaning to the players that play the horns. Who doesn't want a horn where you don't have to work hard?

ML

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Good grief...

I think I really stuck my foot in my mouth unintentionally.

My apologies to anyone who mistook my assessment of the ease of play of Yamahas as a shot or a slam. I would guess you guys know me well enough by now to know I don't do that, having been the recipient of that sort of thing in the past.

So, I hope we're all okay.

ML

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I would second the Yamaha reccomendation. Easy to play and seem to be fairly consistant. The QC is a lot better. I have seen horns at shows from other companies that should have been in the do over pile, I never have with Yamaha, I dont play on them other then piccolo myself, but if buying today I would be looking at Yamaha or Getzen Custom Series.

I reccomend students looking for a pro horn to look at Yamaha.

8. mtm-austin

mtm-austin New Friend

Sep 15, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I spent most of my early life (years 9-22) playing the clarinet and it wasn't until this past August (age 46) that I got the bug to play the trumpet. My son's entry into 6th grade band this year renewed my interest in music.

My brother played trumpet for as long as I played clarinet . . . his horn of choice was a Bach Strad. Before buying horns, I did quite a bit of research on student, intermediate, and pro horns. Yamahas are popular student horns while Bachs seem to be ubiquitous at all levels beginning in high school. Of course, many other makes are out there.

I bought a Yamaha "Allegro" 5335GS horn for my son because it was more "pro" than "student" and I wanted to give him a good start. I bought a Yamaha 2335 for myself . . . keep it simple until I was sure I'd stay with it. Well, after a month of playing, I was progressing quickly and I was already yearning for something more. The Yamaha 2335 is a great horn for the price (I paid $470 for a new one) and it was not really holding me back. But, it is always "greener on the other side" and I had the money to spend. So, I bought a new Yamaha "Xeno" 8345 Bb horn (large bore). I could definitely tell the difference in horns (2335 v. 8345) in terms of both build and playability. You get what you pay for; $470 v. $1300.

I am completely and absolutely happy with my choice of horns (Yamaha). Why not the Strad? Well, I'm a bit of a contrarian . . . the Yamaha appealed to me. Who knows, I might get a vintage Strad one day, too.

Right now, I'm loving my '53 Conn Victor. Steve Winans (Doctor Valve) performed a complete restoration on it in gold plate. It looked great before he got his hands on it. It now looks better than I could have ever imagined and it plays beautifully after the valve rebuild and adjustment. If you plan to restore an older horn, make sure it is worthy of the money to be spent. I'm happy with mine.

If you want a reasonably priced pro horn, I don't think you will go wrong with any of the common makes out there: Yamaha, Bach, Getzen, Kanstul, and more. My choice, though, would be the Yamaha.

BTW, I hope Mr. Laureano doesn't mind a newbie like me posting here. I am very thankful that forums like this exist so that folk like me can learn about this wonderful craft.

9. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

I'm a little late, but here is the Yamaha vs. Bach debate, as I understand it, in a nutshell:

Yamaha:

pros: plays "easier", generally less intonation quirkiness, quality control is regarded as being rather high.
    cons: accused of having a "vanilla", or boring sound, "no personality" *

Bach:

pros: regarded as being "the standard sound", in fact it is sort of the "standard of 'everything'"
    cons: quality control has been known to fluctuate, may not play as "easy" as the Yamaha, may have some intonation issues.**

*It should be noted that any well-known pros that happen to play Yamaha have anything but a boring sound.

**It should also be noted that any well-known pros that happen to play Bach do not have any trouble playing in tune or evenly from high to low.

***Finally, it should especially be noted that it is the person behind the horn that determines how it plays.

This is all Manny meant. Debate over. Thanks for tuning in.

10. HHansontrpt

HHansontrpt New Friend

Nov 1, 2005
    I couldn't agree more with the person said that the person behind the horn determines its quality--Bravo!

BUT...The deal is...Yamahas do allow the player to be less accurate on the pitch placement within each note. (Notice I did not say lazy!)

While the Yamahas are designed to have smaller slots for each note, supposedly giving them the "better accuracy and intonation", this same "blessing" is also its curse. The smaller slots tend to take away the resonance and beauty of sound that another, more traditional horn that forces the player to find the sweet spot of each tone out of a wider possible spectrum may have.

My only favorite horn is the one that sounds best for the individual, so I did not state any preferences here....just trends. I have played with many excellent musicians who use the Yamaha C's as their first line of defense. Whatever your equipment, make it sound beautiful!