Getting a to pro stage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _Lui Apprenti_, Feb 14, 2006.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I fail to understand how playing an instrument that is very even can be seen as lazy or being less accurate. I also dont understand why people say Yamaha is expensive, they are cheaper than Bach and certainly a lot cheaper than Monette.

Yamaha makes some of the best and most reasonably priced horns out there.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jason,

If Yammies are cheaper than Bachs, I'll stand corrected. It was my impression based on converstaions with others that they were costlier. As for the rest, we'll just agree to disagree and that's cool, right?

ML

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    sure..... :D

;-)

4. BobD

BobD New Friend

Jan 6, 2005
    Hey mtm-austin,

Where do you buy your horns. The 2335 prices I see are like 950 and Xeno's are more like 1500 bucks and up?

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico

My Yamaha was about $200 cheaper than a Bach Strad from Brasswind when I bought it in 2000. I played Bach for over twenty years but when I found my current Yamaha (a 6335 MV) I said, "Where have you been all my life?" It blows freely, partly because of the fact that though the bore is 459 they open it up to 462 in the valves which makes less resistance. I find the intonation very even throughout, much better than my Bachs, and it is very responsive and versatile. If I want to play light and pretty it will play light and pretty, when I want it to be full and rich it is very full and rich and when I want to peel paint the paint comes off. A lot of people after having played on my Yamaha have bought one.

As I tell students, what a horn sound like has more to do with what's behind the mouthpiece rather than what's in front of it. A couple years back Arturo Sandoval was at the Midwest Band and Orchestra clinic at the Hilton here. He played some incredible stuff in a masterclass. Some unfortunate soul said that he played that way because of his "special" horn setup. He became enraged and picked up a grade school trumpeters horn and played exactly what he had played on his own horn. He used a few profane terms to say in effect that the horn had nothing to do with it.

Michael McLaughlin

"The present day composer refuses to die." Edgard Varese

6. mtm-austin

mtm-austin New Friend

Sep 15, 2005
    Austin, TX
    All the local music stores quote about $900+ for the 2335. I actually bought mine brand new in the box from Ozwinds on eBay. That said, I tested one of the local stores (Brooks Mays) after my purchase and they admitted they would have sold me the same horn for $480. I read on TH just recently that another buyer said WWBW quoted $399 for the same horn even though their website states $920 (or some such number). If this is true, then I should have checked around a little more. Ask (for a lower price) and you shall receive :-)

I bought my Xeno from Chuck Levin's in Maryland after receiving glowing recommendations from folks on TH. It took them a week to receive the horn (from where I don't know) and about another four days for me to see it arrive via UPS. Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center is the first place I'll look for any new horn purchase in the future. They were GREAT!

7. NickD

NickD Forte User

Tom Sawyer method...

There are lots of options beside Yamaha (Schilke) and Bach.

I obviously have a vested interest in Stage 1 by Felix.

However, when I bought my Getzen bass trumpet at the Getzen factory several years ago, they brought out about a dozen B-flats which were EXCELLENT! They were the newer Doc models and Customs. They were VERY favorably priced, for pro horns, too.

So, IMHO if you want to try something out of the Yamaha/Bach area, look at Stage 1's by NYTC and Getzens. They're all very easy to play, too! ;-)

Just my $.02 worth.

Nick