Getting along with Members of your Section Part 2

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    A while back I started a thread asking if anyone had ever had issues with getting along with members of your section.

After getting responses from many of you I decided to "stay the course" to refresh the topic the lead trumpet in my section in the community band seemed to not like me for some reason.

I tried to start a dialouge with this guy several times, IE I'd complement his playing and he really is a very good player! He'd just ignore me and act as though I did not exist.

Well, I'm happy to report that persistance finally paid off and I now know what his problem was. I get along with just about anyone, I kinda pride myself on that. It was bugging me that I had done nothing to this fella and he just would not give me the time of day.

I talked with others in my section that I have a good repore with and they assured me that this is just his nature. I continued to complement him when I could and just generally be cordial. Finally he shocked me and started a dialouge with me last Monday. He noticed that I was putting some valve oil on my valves and offered to let me try his stuff. I took the opportunity to chat with him and he all but apoligized for his behavior. The long and short of it, and you won't believe this, is that I'm from Michigan(The North). And he's a good ole boy from Alabama. Can you believe that? Correct me if I'm wrong but the Civil War has been over for some time now. I am a Yankee and he fought with himself to accept me for that I'm gracious, but DAMN! He said that he felt I was a fine addition to the band just took him 4 months to see it.

It's just funny I guess as I am originally from the Metro Detroit Area where this sort of thing really doesn't matter at all.

The South, you gotta love it! :lol:

2. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    LOL! Being a "damned Yankee" myself, I was referred to as " the dark-haired Yankee girl" by my in-laws for a good ten years before they finally admitted to adoring me. :-)

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I'm a Texan boy and I'll say some of us "good ol' boyz" like some of y'all "Yankees" lol. just don't expect us to give up our BBQ or weapons.

5. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    AMEN!!

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Bear and MB..... :lol:

Will you at least share some of that BBQ? Us Yankees love good food. Just don't try and feed us anything you killed with one of them thar guns. (in my best Billy Crystal, "City Slickers" brogue) "Yeeeeeeeeee haw!" LOL.

7. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Heck yeah, yes ma'am. I'll share, but no worries as I'm just a target shooter. I don't hunt unless someone really pisses me off.... then they don't piss me off no more! J/k. Btw, TX BBQ is the ONLY real BBQ. I was in GA a few months ago and had some BBQ... it was disgusting...

8. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    HOOOWEEE!!! I live in Oh-Hi-uH... but the family is from tenessee, I'll show you some barbeque!

9. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    no mon i and i got de bbq mon, jerky style mon! :D

10. Webbsta

Webbsta New Friend

Nov 9, 2005
    Dallas
    ya gotta luv that S. carolina sauce - Yeller as can be!

Jason