Getting along with other players in your section

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Toots,

I just walked in and they asked if playing third part would be Ok. I said, "of course"

I get along well with everyone in the band. Just seems the the first 4 chairs in the Trumpet section have an elite-est thing going on. The seconds to my right and I get along just fine, my 3thd partner and I get along fine so I don't get it.

As far as equipment goes I've got probably the least expensive horn in the section, 1966 King Silver Flair with a Monette B4S mouthpiece. So I don't know there either :dontknow:

Everyone thanks for the advice. I'll just do my best to stay calm and maybe give it one more shot and see what happens.

2. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Be the bigger man. Just reflect on how funny it is that some community band guys think they're that kick-a$$. :lol:

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    "...the very top guys are great guys, it is the ones a notch or two down who feel they have to prove something ..."

Trumpetmike wrote that in the lessons thread. It is very true. The moral here, the application or better yet, relevancey, is that these guys up there feel they have something to prove. Maybe they feel that they should be playing in a paid gig, and cannot land one, etc. No excuse to treat another human being this way, but that seems to be the case. I've never seen Manny, Wilmer, Ed, Trent or any other of the working pros here ignore or belittle anyone for their lack of understanding of a given topic or because someone doesn't play as well as them or have as much experience. Their kindness and generosity and humble attitude reflect their status as leaders. They create the atmosphere that we enjoy here. Yet there have been a few come onto this board who have a chip on their shoulder or feel they have something to prove; maybe they are that notch or 2 below those fine gentlemen, like your firsts seem to be.

Funny how some people get themselves so bent out of shape they lose sight of what they are doing.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Well, for what it's worth I've been in a community band for about 7 years now. I have found that there are two ways a guy can hold a 1st chair down. One is by being the best player/leader in the group... and that's cool...the way it should be. The other is that community bands frequently end up with the person with the longest tenure or the one who owns the truck that pulls the equipment trailer or anything other than being able to play being the one who sits 1st. They might be 1st, but they sure aren't section LEADERS.

Just keep on contributing and get to know the guys around you. Your worst case scenario is to keep on looking for a group where you fit in better (or which doesn't have the ego problem). But... people being people, I think there is always going to be "something" that grates.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Section leaders

As a recent comebacker and newboy in two local concert bands I am having a difficult time understanding what the problem here is. I joined one band that had a nine chair trumpet/cornet section and was placed fourth chair in the first trumpet/cornet section, making our section ten chairs. I have, thus far, felt nor perceived any superiority or animosity from any of the players above or below me. I am just one more of "those noisy guys over there". In the other community band that I tried out for, I was recommended for the second chair in the solo section by one of the other band members who also plays second chair third trumpet in the band that I just mentioned. I have been welcomed heartily by all of the members of both bands. Perhaps the reason I am so well received is that I have made it quite plain that I have no ambition for the first chair/section leader. I just want to enjoy playing my cornet in a competant and able trumpet section. I certainly don't want the administrative responsibilities that go with the 'first chair'. I also am a mentor in a beginners band of senior citizens, age fifty and older.

OLDLOU>>

6. Larry

Larry New Friend

Sep 21, 2005
    Tennessee
    Great advice.

Some think the only way to deal with band personality issues is to find a way to slam-dunk the offending individual, then follow that with a victory dance in the end zone.

Larry

7. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Some folks just don't know how to take a compliment. It may make them feel uneasy and they get tongue-tied, not knowing what to say. Thay want nothing more than for that moment to 'go away'. Could this be the situation?
    Just a thought....... it may not be an intentional shun.
    maybe????
    If you rule this out, try a 'head-slap'...:-)

gregc

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Stuck up section leader

I find it hard to agree with any of the radical advice given thus far. My advice is to come to each rehearsal/gig/concert well prepared to play your assigned part well. Keep your mouth shut and just let your trumpet speak for you. If your section leader ignores your playing, then, he is wrong.

Do you want to be accepted, or, advance in your section, or, become a more proficient trumpeter, or do you simply want to further agravate an already touchy situation?

OLDLOU>>

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Re: Stuck up section leader

Thanks guys I sure do apprieciate all the responses.

As for your questions Lou,

Nope no desire to contend for the section lead chair, just want to play music plain and simple. Do I want to be a more proficient Trumpeter, your darn tootin' I'm almost positive that I'll never be an orchestrial musician, but no one will ever stop me from aspiring to be!

I just don't like it when I perceive someone treating me poorly without knowing why? If I got it coming that's one thing, but geeezz.

I'll let you all know what does or does not shake out of the bushes over this. For now, I'm going to try to let by gons be by gons. However if I'm so inclined to complement this guy one more time and get the same feeling and or treatment from the lead section, well I may become inspired to change my position on contending for the section lead. I will let the Trumpet do the talking for me.

Thanks all!

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Bravo, John

Let that old silverbelled King do your talking.

BTW, you talked in an earlier post about your horn being inferior to the horns of most of the rest of your section. N O T S O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You might perceive your horn as being inferior, but, many trumpeters would give their left n--t to be able to have such a fine instrument. In my case, I normally play my grandpa's 1896 made Wurlitzer short cornet. Market value, perhaps $150.00 I am NOT ashamed of it. I play it with pride and love it's tone,valves, tonality, response, etc.. The majority of my section in the big band that I am a member of play Selmer, Bach Strads, Olds Recording and Yamaha Zeno. They all put up with me doing all of the cornet solos because they know that my horn and I do fairly well. I never have any hesitation about not being invited by my section leader or director to play those solos marked for trumpet.

Relax. Be prepared. Play up to your maximum capability. Pay attention to what your section leader wants and just enjoy making good music.

OLDLOU>>