Getting back in shape

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TheTrumpetMan13, Jul 2, 2015.

1. TheTrumpetMan13

TheTrumpetMan13 New Friend

Sep 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    From your experience, how long does it take to get back in shape? I am a university student and I have been in my school's top Wind Ensemble for the past two years. However, I was on a month and a half long trip, during which I was not able to play or buzz at all. I just got back, and as expected, I am bad out of shape, mainly in respect to technique and endurance. I have an audition for my Wind Ensemble again in a about a month and a half, August 16th. Practicing every day, how long should I expect it to take for me to get back into normal shape?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If I lay off for more than a day or two, I need a week, if I lay off for more than a week or two, it takes a month. If I take off a month or two, I don't know because I haver have.....

I had an operation a year ago and had to lay off for 3 months. After coming back, I had a gig after a week. It worked. I was way out of my comfort zone, but it worked!

YOUR path back has more to do with how intelligent your practice is and what kind of habits that you had. Assuming a solid daily routine, 6 weeks should be enough to fool the rest even if you may be slightly uncomfortable.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It will take until August 15th to get in shape for the audition. Work on your technique and endurance will follow. Be sure to spend time playing tunes and making music. Results may vary.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Just a note of caution, even though you are young and probably quick to recover between practice sessions. Your biggest challenge may be avoiding over-doing. Best wishes for a good speedy effort to get in shape for your audition.

Jim

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This.

I once took about 18 months off the horn - thought I was putting it down for good at the time. I got back into playing because a friend of mine called me up and asked if I could sub a one-set big band gig. I had a month to prep for it, so I took it. I wasn't fully back in shape by the end of the month, but I was back in shape enough that I was able to get through the gig without any major issues.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Muscle is muscle is muscle. Muscle physiology, if used AT LEAST every other day, says it takes 6 weeks to get to a controllable level and a few months more to begin to have steady improvement in function. By the way, welcome to TM where it is my goal to whip you into shape.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    For you, it is my goal just to whip you.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    [​IMG]