Getting back into it all...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by pernz, Jan 27, 2010.

1. pernz

pernz New Friend

Jan 27, 2010
    NJ
    Hey everyone, I used to play trumpet for about 11 years or so (from elementary school, through high school, and then into some college). I stopped playing due to my school not having a band and for other reasons (my horn being lost/stolen). Anyway, after talking about missing it for three months I decided to start playing again. It's amazing how much stuff you remember, but also how much you forget.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips about getting back into shape. Right now I sound awful (which is expected) and I know it's going to take time. I plan on practicing once a day for about 45mins - 1 hr.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice on how to get started again, that would be great!

2. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Hello pernz

Welcome to the comback club, I've been on the comback trail now for 5 months, and I can tell you at first it can be frustrating, I can only offer you some things that seem to be working for me.

1. Stick to the fundamentals
    2. Get it in your mind that the way you played in the past will never be as good as you will play in the future.
    3. Find yourself a very qualified teacher!!!!! Does wonders!!
    4. Sound quality is the upmost
    5. Never be hesitant to ask questions.

These are a few, I'm sure others will chime in any minute, but this has worked for me after a 35yrs. In five months I have gone from blowing air to expressing the essence of my soul when I play all due in part to hard dedicated work and many Thanks to Trumpet Master and other forums.

Oh!! #6. Keep coming back here, I have learned so much from these guys and gals, great resource.

Enjoy your comback!! :play:

The Kraken

I'm OUT!!

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Pernz,

Don't start with 45 minutes in one chunk. Do 15 minutes three times, with at least a 10-15 minute break in between. Resting is vital and 45 minutes at once is too much for your chops at this point.

veery

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Being another 'comebacker', I have no choice but to agree with my friend, Veery. I was away for over 45 years and found that if I practiced for about 15 minutes and 'played arround' on this and other forums for an equal amount of time the resting time did wonders for my out of shape chops.

Another important point is to do your practice along with a metronome, teaching yourself to always count everything.

OLDLOU>>

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi pernz,
    First look at HOW you play.
    Is your teeth aligned. In other words is your bottom teeth and your top teeth even?

When you play, is your mouthpiece placement around 1/3 top lip 2/3 bottom lip?

When your lip gets tired, it is the top lip or the bottom lip getting tired?
    The bottom lip should be doing the big part of the work.

When you blow, is it forceful? You should check out rowuk's advice on circle of breath.
    Think of using your air more like a zen thing. Watch Alison Balsom, Tine Thing Helseth, Raphael Mendez, Bobby Shew, and others on YouTube. Look at their faces when they play. You should notice a non-emotional look to their faces even though they are playing really hard stuff. You want to try and achieve this type of calmness on your face.
    --------
    What to practice on:
    Whatever you like to play!
    To keep or develop muscles, do lip slurs (like a bugle for each valve combo) using the 7 valve combinations:
    Don't do this for long. Just a couple of minutes a day.
    -------
    get with a church band, or buy a good play along and get ready to have fun.
    Hope This Help

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi pernz,
    First look at HOW you play.
    Is your teeth aligned. In other words is your bottom teeth and your top teeth even?

When you play, is your mouthpiece placement around 1/3 top lip 2/3 bottom lip?

When your lip gets tired, it is the top lip or the bottom lip getting tired?
    The bottom lip should be doing the big part of the work.

When you blow, is it forceful? You should check out rowuk's advice on circle of breath.
    Think of using your air more like a zen thing. Study Alison Balsom, Tine Thing Helseth, Raphael Mendez, Bobby Shew, and others on YouTube. Look at their faces when they play. You should notice a non-emotional look to their faces even though they are playing really hard stuff. You want to try and achieve this type of calmness on your face.
    --------
    What to practice on:
    Whatever you like to play!
    To keep or develop muscles, do lip slurs (like a bugle for each valve combo) using the 7 valve combinations:
    Don't do this for long. Just a couple of minutes a day.
    -------
    get with a church band, or buy a good play along and get ready to have fun.
    Hope This Help

7. sjk

sjk New Friend

Apr 10, 2008
    Markie makes some good points, but don't try and watch yourself in a mirror while you play to emulate how others look, try and match their sound. If you can make it sound the same you will have everything else in place.

I also do not advocate the 1/3 top lip 2/3 bottom lip placement. I have seen many students do this so that they can just pin down the top lip to make it work. If you are doing this is can greatly hinder your upper register. Put the mouthpiece where it is comfortable.
    This is a great resource:
    http://abel.hive.no/ctg/book/ctg.pdf

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hello Pernz,
    I am a fellow member of the comeback player's club here - there are quite a few of us. I started in 1955 and then didn't play a lick for over 35 years. I started my comeback 8 months ago and when I first started, I took my trumpet to the repair shop because I thought it had gone bad after 35 years in the closet. The tech said it played perfectly! So, I had to come to the sad conclusion that the problem was me.

I agree with all of the previous posts and would distill them all into one word - Patience!

Don't rush it. Let things take their course. I did not progress as fast as I wanted at first but now as I look back on it, I have progressed more than I would have hoped for when I started. My biggest problem was getting my fingers, eyes, ears, and brain to come into sync when playing fast sections (anything faster than quarter notes) with accidentals. So, I started slowly and gradually increased speed. Now things are coming much easier.

You can do this. There are a lot of good tips here. Also, spend some time on Youtube watching and listening to others.

Oh, by the way - watch out for the very contagious problem of developing an obsession with shiny brass (or silver) objects. I had only 1 trumpet 8 months ago.

9. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Take it slow and low. Play lots of low notes. Play ballads an octave down. Concentrate on playing with the best sound you can as you increase your range. Most of all, try and have fun and not take it so serious.

Whenever I get serious, I stop playing again. :(