Getting Back Into Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CalebWayne, Jun 22, 2013.

1. CalebWayne

CalebWayne Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2010
    Hey everyone! So, I'm a college junior who's majoring in History, but I'm minoring in music and I obviously play trumpet. Haven't played in a while though and was wondering what someone in my position should do to get back into playing. Also, what can I do with my minor/trumpet playing? Just play for fun? Thanks for the advice!

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    All I say is that playing my brass instruments (I play lower ones also) has offered me some of most relaxing moments in my life following disability from employment and thru many more health issues, but I also minored in instrumental music and feel that I was the best trained from 5th grade forward to college. Like many will most likely say, and I too, unless we hear you we won't dare say what your chances are as a professional musician ... but in reality the odds are against you for such.

3. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    If you can, do a double major and get an education certificate to teach. Because you will have a degree in History, your options may be limited unless you plan on law school or teaching. Imagine being able to teach both History and Music. Although the odds for making a living with music are pretty challenging, you should be able to play some small gigs or join a local community orchestra. Like Ed wrote in the previous post, the trumpet is like therapy. It is such a physical instrument and continuous play and practice yields noticeable results in improvement. Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    wow... History major with a Music minor. That has to be the epitome of "pre-unemployment"!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I guess this defines history, and coincides with your major!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Learn some major keys for your trumpet playing as well...:dontknow: diversify!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So do you saying you are in a suspended minor mode?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Find a guitarist or pianist, scope out campus or near community coffee houses, tell them they need music in their establishments and for a reasonable fee you will provide it.. then have at it.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way... here are some answers to your next English history exam... You can thank me later:

[TABLE="width: 468"][TR][TD]What was Camelot famous for ?
    It's knight life !
    [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]When a knight in armour was killed in battle, what sign did they put on his grave ?
    Rust in peace !
    [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
    When were King Arthur's army too tired to fight ?

When they had lots of sleepless knights !
    [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
    What English King invented the fireplace ?

Alfred the grate !
    [/TD][/TR][TR][TD][/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Who invented fractions ?
    Henry the 1/8th !
    [/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Bonus Question:

What did the Nobles cry out when they hung a servant in the town square?
    Surf's up!