Getting Back Into Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CalebWayne, Nov 7, 2014.

1. CalebWayne

CalebWayne Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2010
    Hey folks! Some of you may remember me from a while back (about 3 years, to be exact). I was going to be a music major in college, but a lot of things changed and kept that from happening (job market sucked, hated the music staff at the university I was at, etc.). So, I changed to a different major. Thus, I've been largely out of the loop for the last 3 or so years. I haven't done much playing at all in that time, but I sorely miss playing and I've decided that since I have the time to do so, I'll get back into it. So, I have a few questions. First, other than just playing for sheer personal enjoyment, what are some other things I could get involved in that would let me enjoy playing the way I used to? Second, as you all can imagine, my chops are 3 years out of shape. What should I do in order to really get them back? Obviously time isn't an issue (I'm not playing a concert next week or anything), so if there's a slower method that works the best, that's perfectly fine. It's awesome to be back! Thanks for all your help!

2. Djmennis

Djmennis New Friend

Sep 25, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Try a community band. Any method book with multiple exercises should do good

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The above post mentioned a community band which can easily be found. Playing in any ensemble would be highly recommended. Another attempt you can try is to post a stick it note at a local music store requesting an interest to joining an ensemble that meets your specific request. I used the latter method over 40 years ago and got a response that actually launched the musical career I have enjoyed for every year since.

Start a simple practice routine of about 20-30 minutes AT LEAST every other day (if not daily). Then increase the time by about 20% every other week until you get to a practice routine you can sustain. I recommend trying to reach a goal of at least an hour a day at least every other day to maintain. Give yourself at least 6 weeks to truly appreciate your progression before giving up.

Taking it slow is a great ideal. So you are already on the right track.

It is awesome. Trumpet is such a fabulous way to stay in touch of your emotions, pleasure and to enhance development of the right brain.

4. CalebWayne

Mar 19, 2010
    Thanks for all the advice! The only reason I haven't been playing much is because college has taken up all of my time. Now that I've graduated, I have a bit more time that's been freed up a tad. Luckily, I didn't stupidly sell off or throw away any of my material, so I still have a ton of trumpet material to work with.

5. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Are you allowed to join any music ensembles without being a music major/minor? Local university allows students who played a band instrument in HS to play in pep band, and jazz band is by audition to community members and students...

6. CalebWayne

Mar 19, 2010
    It was an option. However, due to some pretty bad blood and hard feelings between myself and the directors, that wasn't a good choice, unfortunately.

7. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Sorry to hear that - community band is likely a good idea, then. If there are any other schools nearby that allow community members to flesh out ensembles, maybe that idea?

Regardless, best of luck, and enjoy yourself playing trumpet - the most important part!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The answer to this is "Yes" at least from my experience at two major universities.

I agree, at the University of Cincinnati, I was a non-music major that was able to play in one of Frank Brown's (the head of the CCM Jazz Program at the time) university big bands. Then just after that, I was the only non-music major playing first chair lead in their No 1 Big Band, the Statesman. I was well accepted by the music majors in both experiences.

9. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    My only advice is this. Do not wait. Not for a year, not for a day, not for a minute. Join something, even if it isn't exactly what you are looking for. Give yourself over to it.

If you don't, you wake up shortly after your 50th birthday, asking "where did my life go ?" and "I wonder what kind of trumpet I can buy for $250..."

It's in your soul. Nourish it. It doesn't have to be a career. In fact, your career and everything else in life will go better if you have a hobby that fills your passion.

10. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Welcome back to the wonderful world of music :D

step 1 .
    Practice ,if not every day at least every other day ,find your old books or some trumpet tunes and just remind yourself how to play ,fingerings, loudness keys ,etc.

step 2.
    Try to join some thing , a small group ,community band ,maybe sign up to play in church ? preludes etc.?

step 3 ENJOY

And while your doing that ,watch this and remind yourself why you play :cool:

Arturo Sandoval - Tip Tuesday with Jens Lindemann - YouTube

Good luck and keep us up to date ! :play:

Dean_0