Getting back into shape

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Calliope, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Calliope

Calliope New Friend

Jun 17, 2005
    Hi Manny!

After taking some time off from playing, what do you do to get back into shape? Ofcourse, I'm sure all of us continued practicing for hours a day through the entire holiday season. :oops:

Take care,
    LJJ

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Calliope,

People often aren't sure when I'm speaking seriously or when I have my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. In this case, I'm quite serious when I say that if I've had some time off, the psychology of playing is the most important thing to settle back into playing. Only good things come from a proper mindset.

To this end, I have a bunch of little melodies that help me get on track in a musical way.

I like to play "Yellow Bird" instead of the Northwestern National Anthem. I like playing the little video theme from Ms. Pac Man instead of the famous Clarke study. I like playing the Patter song from The Pirates of Penzance instead of the Third Clarke study. I like playing the opening theme from the Marriage of Figaro instead of Clarke studies.

Why all this craziness? The difference is that those things I like to play are all peiecs of music instead of studies which can become so clinical in the way people approach playing them. Once that musical approach is reinstated, the rest is easy. truly.

Waking up the performing side of the brain is easy if you know your task. Endurance, technique... all necessary but they're teaching robots in japan to do that stuff now. The only thing that's going to distinguish us in the next twenty years from them is our ability to think musically and spontaneously in concert with others.

So, look... all I'm trying to say is that you know everything you need to know to get yourslf into shape. It's a personal thing, I think what helps one person get stronger after time off. I'm also saying that waking up the non-technical side to study the technical can be a good thing.

ML

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Manny's advice is great and FUN! How much time did you take off? Are we talkin' days, weeks, months, years???? If only days, then don't sweat it. If weeks, it could take some time, so be patient, take it slow and make it fun. Take your favorite tunes and make them beneficial to getting back in shape with what your mind is doing while playing them. Mainly, have a sound concept in your mind when playing your fun tunes and stay focused on that. Great medicine for what ails ya'. ;-)

4. Calliope

Calliope New Friend

Jun 17, 2005
    Thanks for the advice Manny. I like the your musical approach to the basics. Yes- it is more inspiring and more fun!

I only ended up taking off about one week from playing while I was traveling 1200 miles each way for Christmas and then promptly getting hives all over my face (including upper lip.) :-( My face is coming back though, through short segments of playing multiple times daily.

Thanks again,
    LJJ

5. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Great thread! I lost a lil bit over the holidays and am just feeling like I'm 100% back. Now, I found out I'll likely have to go cross country on business for a week at the end of this month. I'm already bummed about losing my practice time. I'm tempted to take a horn with me and get a little playing in at the hotel. I don't know if it's worth it or not; getting maybe a half hour with a practice mute in per day.
    Either way, it's gonna be a hurt~

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Greg, playing a little every day is much better for you than taking the whole week off. I would say it is a good idea to get in a little playing each day while you are on your trip if it is possible.

7. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Thanks for the fast reply, Alex. I'll gig bag it and and do the 'carry-on' thing. A little playing is better then none, and it's worth the effort. It'
    d kill me to be falling backwards now.