Getting Back Into the Swing of Things

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Heidi, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Heidi

Heidi New Friend

Mar 27, 2009
    Southeast, GA
    I've been playing for about fifteen years. My practice lapsed pretty badly last year because of a problem with my sinuses and now I'm trying to get back started. I'm not having too much trouble and seem to be making progress, but I would love any advice that will speed things up (I know be patient LOL). I still haven't managed to get back to playing many high notes, but my mid-range is good. I always had problems with low Ds in the past and I still am. I try to practice at least an hour a day and no I do not have a teacher (nor the money for one).

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Heidi!

Range and endurance seem to be the things that come back the most slowly after time off. For the low d, you might try extending your third valve slide about 3/8's of an inch (for low d's and c#'s only) and see if that helps.

Have fun!

3. Heidi

Heidi New Friend

Mar 27, 2009
    Southeast, GA
    Thanks for the advice. When I first started back my shoulders would ache really bad. I've been really having to work on posture and have even started to do yoga to try and keep them stretched out. Anyway I'll keep you guys updated and let you know of anymore specific issues I have. I've been reading more on the forum and have to say I love it. It seems really useful and everyone is very friendly and helpful.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Welcome Heidi.

Enjoy your stay!

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I find practicing the higher register pp using different articulations very helpful in conserving your practicing chops, and working on alleviating tension. Of course loud high note tension (i mean of the extreme tension) is pretty harsh on your sinuses. Finding the note center is the first step, volume comes later.

6. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Hello Heidi:

Welcome to the comeback trail. When practicing low notes it helps to start on a higher note you're comfortable with, and work your way down. If you find you are not getting used to holding the trumpet you might want to consider trading for a cornet. I find them a bit easier to hold because they are shorter, so you hold your arms closer to your body. Less stress on the upper back.

Good luck!

7. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    Welcome, and a curiosity question.

What kind of problem do you have with your low Ds? I'm guessing it's something other than the tuning, but there are a few possibilities. Every now and then I seem to get in trouble with specific notes, but they tend to get better over time.

Thanks!

8. Heidi

Heidi New Friend

Mar 27, 2009
    Southeast, GA
    It's not so much tuning with the Ds. They are just really weak. My lips just seem to go out a bit with them (if that makes any sense). It has always been a struggle to get them out. They're okay when I'm just warming up, but once I've been playing for a short while I start having trouble with them. It's nothing major, but it is aggravating sometimes.

The shoulder thing has been getting better, now that I've learned to pay attention to how I hold my shoulder blades (thanks yoga). They still get a little sore, but they are improving. Never had this problem until I took time off and started back. It's probably just those specific muscles building back up.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Try a Google search to HeartMath. Fun stuff, and uhh, if your shoulder blades are impacted by low d's, then the electromatic fields produced by a body in congruence will have great effect!

No, I am NOT KIDDING.

Have fun!

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Have a look at David Monette's website.