Getting Back Into The Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetNY, Nov 24, 2013.

1. TrumpetNY

TrumpetNY New Friend

Nov 24, 2013
    Hello All,

My name is Anthony and I am from Long Island. This is my first post on here. I played trumpet from 4th grade through college. It has been 11 years since I played regularly. I sold my Yamaha TR6335 Mike Vax in 08. I believe that was one of the larger mistakes I made in my life thus far. I am looking to get back into playing again. I have about a 1000.00 to spend on a horn. I am looking into used, as I am sure I can get more bang for my buck that way. Since I have been out of it for a while, can anyone make any recommendations on a versatile pro horn? I typically play a mixture of Jazz and Classical. Primarily classical in a brass quintet setting.

On a side note, does anyone here know of Howard Birnbaum? He was my private teacher for years. I have lost touch with him for years and would like to get back in touch with him. Thanks in advance for any replies and all of your help.

Anthony

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Used Getzen Eterna. Olds Recording would be best but not sure if this would buy such a horn. By the way, welcome to TM.

3. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    First, welcome to the site! Look for a used Bach Stradivarius. Or, Michael Del Quadro has a restored 70s Getzen Severinsen model that looks great. You could also keep your eyes open for a used Kanstul. Or, if you want to go Vintage that kind of money would buy you a very nice older Conn 22B New York Symphony model. Sweet players. Good luck!

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I've got a used bach 43xl bore for sale right now...and you'd have enough money left for a nice dinner (maybe not in NYC). $950. Feel free to contact me if you're interested. Anyway, even if not my horn, a good solid used bach is the way I would go,and there are plenty available in your price range.

5. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Never mind that Del Quadro Getzen. It's sold. (for $630)

6. TrumpetNY

TrumpetNY New Friend

Nov 24, 2013
    There is a ton of stuff on eBay. You know, I always dreamed of a Schilke when I was playing years ago. They are out of my range even used in questionable cosmetic condition.

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM! Best wishes finding a trumpet you enjoy. You have a lot of options for $1,000. Several of the trumpets named above would work great for you.
    Jim

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Welcome..
    Good suggestions so far on horns...Bach Strad is also where I would start.

On Mr.Howard Birnbaum maybe send a PM to Mr. Wilmer Wise - he knows all the greats in NY.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, TrumpetNY!