Getting Back Into Trumpet After 7 Years

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skyliner33, Mar 8, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    First find a teacher. What approach? Wear soft sole shoes (we teachers get spooked easily), The in between your 5th and 4th finger (where your grip is weakest) tuck in a $100 bill, as trumpet teachers (like me) like to get as big of a tip from our students as we give to them in knowledge. That's my recommendation to you as to what approach you need to take.

By the way, welcome to TM.

PS: If you thing this was a touching, humanistic welcome, you can send a $20 thank you note my way. PM me for the address.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yeah and I heard him during those year... Man was he off!:bleah:

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Those were very dark years, man. :cool:

Mike

4. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    You are to be commended for your perseverance.

Restarting after time off in many cases can be a benefit for you generally have more drive than when you put it away.

When I moved to Branson, I had not played my horn for over five years. To even a warm-up in that time. Then I was asked to play a recital.......in two weeks.

With very slow and careful preparation, I was able to pull it off and now I'm playing every day again.

The secret, if there is one to getting back on the horse is to expect very slow yet consistent improvements each day.

Do not try to get it all back in a week or even a month for you will be sorry with the outcome.

If you fall back into your old habits, it will take much longer.

If there is a qualified teacher in your area, check him/her out and have them listen and watch your playing position. Hopefully they will be able to lead you along in your comeback.

We all have been where you are now and most have succeeded.

It is our hope that you too will start enjoying the feel of great trumpet playing again.

Bruce Chidester

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If we are talking about not having been skiing or lifting weights for 7 years, would our advice be the same? In many cases I think not. You see, we must mentally and physically prepare for anything "hard" that we want to do. Generally we have something at 24 that we didn't have at 17 - patience. My advice is to search on "circle of breath" here and to start there. Inhale/exhale, long tones with no tonguing to get the tone started, then easy lip slurs - also no tonguing, then easy tunes like from a hymnbook. Let's say 10 minutes of each daily for the next 2 weeks. If you stick with it for that amount of time, we can advance to the next step. Play comfortably but not loudly or softly, just exhale the notes into the horn. No real high notes or strain. Post again after a couple of weeks. I can explain what you went through 7 years ago. History does not have to repeat itself.......,