Getting better creates more problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Sep 28, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I am a comeback player and the last four years I have really come back. Just when I think I have, it more stuff comes up.

I had trouble double tonguing. After the fix I found that it wasn't really the tonguing, it was I am coming in late.

I started to transpose. Now I have been playing the same literature on different trumpets and transposing. All of the sudden the intervals sound different. What trumpet is the wrong one?

I used to play stuff on a different key instrument and not transpose. Now it sounds wrong and bugs me.

Does the list ever end?

2. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Is this just a statement or are you asking for some help?

Maybe while the notes that you see on the page you are hearing in your mind to be Bb or a particular key when you are transposing them to another pitch/key.

This is one of the problems new students may have who start off playing the trumpet by using a C trumpet while reading Bb music.

I don't know what else to say except, practice, practice, practice.

You'll get there.

Liad Bar-EL

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It would be sad if additional experience did not increase expectations.
    Don't think of it as ever more to conquer - think of it as a dirty window getting slowly cleaned, every day you see a bit more - every day a bit more light in your life. You have unlimited combination of opportunities and possibilities that are unique to YOU.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The more you study, the more you know
    The more you know, the more you can forget
    The more you forget, the less you know
    Why study? :-)

5. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    B15M,

Just think positive. You'll get there.

Liad Bar-EL

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Exactly!!!!!!!

7. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Your ear is getting better. You can hear your misques easier and more distinct. It's the trouble with getting better. Would you be better off not knowing? Sometimes, I ask myself that question.......

8. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Are you all saying that ignorance is bliss?

My mother in law has AD and it is a disease wherein it is called a "long good-by". Nobody can see that she is getting anymore "blissful" as her memory decreases.

It seems to me that to study in order to know how to attach yourself to the source of all knowledge would be worth knowing and every little step in our knowledge of life adds to this endeavor.

Of course, this is just my opinion and the opinion of many people in history who have had minds and photographic memories that have astounded their peers and the scholars even of today.

Liad

9. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Relax Liad. It's just the weird American/Canadian humor thing showing up again.

I know what the poster is talking about. Thanks to a very good teacher, I'm learning quite a bit about the orchestral repetoire, including a bunch of new music symbols used in classical literature. Things such as 'bat wings' for double sharps, odd meter timing like 5/8, Trompette in Re...etc.

Sigh....so, now I need to put that knowledge to use which means leaving the community band and joining the Pops Orchestra. Which, because about 1/3 of the members are 'pro' means they are very good, I'll have to study harder. Which means I'll learn more----and I'll probably have to start collecting more horns. Definitely a 'C', probably a 'D' as well, although I've always liked the trumpets in 'G'........

See what I mean?.............

Bill