Getting into trumpet restoration

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by TRMPT250, Jun 29, 2015.

1. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.

It would depend on where the dent is, if it's on a straight section that can be accessed, just slide the tube over the a mandrel small enough and tap it with a leather or rubber tipped mallet. If the dent is on a curved section you will probably need to take it to a shop where they have the proper tools.

Raw brass polished and clear coated can be very nice for awhile, silver plating (done in a shop that specializes in that operation) will last a long time if taken care of.

I tried for 7 years to Teach Jr High school students to solder, and I would recommend that if you want to learn to solder, do so, but take your horn to a shop and have it done correctly, there are so many things that you could do wrong, it's just not worth it. Teaching yourself will result in a lot of bad habits that will cause more trouble that it is worth. If you don't solder now, by the time you really learn how to do it properly and adequately, your horn could be corroded to nothing. I don't care what others will try to tell you, soldering is not as easy and simple as some will say. Anyone can solder to pieces of metal together and make them stick, but doing the job neatly and efficiently takes years of practice and learning.

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I can't solder at all that why I mentioned JB Weld it works. I've cut planed and sanded pieces of 2X4 to fit inside the bell and used another piece to tap on the out side. I'm to cheap and not skilled enough to fix other various dents so this just stay-I don't have any major dents on any of my horns that I worry about. All but 1 of my horns are raw brass and can't say anything bad-I like the patina, I do occasionally polish the B47's red brass bell and turtle wax it

3. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    Raw brass can be very attractive if the patina is even over all, I just don't like to see a horn that is partly lacquered and partly bare. A coat of wax can fix the patina at a certain stage once it gets to the look you like. If you like a patina, be careful of an abrasive polish, as it will remove the patina and leave the raw brass again.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    On Raw Brass or not..
    The lacquer is on the horn to protect it from wear, and to make it look good.

If the lacquer has worn, the horn has pitted areas, and the lacquer may have been subject to excessive heat, so it has laminated off in places, then the lacquer is no longer protecting, nor is it looking good.

If you remove the lacquer, the horn will not be affected for sound, but it will look better if it is polished. Some car wax can be used to help protect the raw brass, so you don't have to polish it all the time.

I like raw brass horns, they are not that much more to maintain, and you can let the patina develop if you wish.

Lead pipe - just get it replaced, and ask if the tech will let you watch over a cuppa. Ask him up front when you phone what Starbucks coffee he likes, and have a nice chat while he replaces it. He may even take some of those dings out, and you can see the tools the pros use. Balls, magnets, soft mallets etc, but the touch for the amount of hurt to apply, takes years to learn. The Tech can be your best friend.

Enjoy playing it.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Sorry, wrong! All silver plated instruments have been soldered, and most have been with leaded solder.

6. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    You're right, I was thinking of galvanizing, which is coating with zinc, and zinc should not go over anything with lead in it, it might go, on but zinc reacts with lead. Silver and Gold are a different matter, and lacquer will go over almost anything.