getting mad helps with my air efficiency

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I noticed today when I was practicing that my sunburned face was preventing me from playing with the control, sound, and range I normally have while doing lip slurs. The higher I got, the worse the high notes sounded and wouldn't always come out. This really made me mad because I am used to playing those notes fine, and the madder I got the easier the notes came out. Does this just mean I was being more aggressive, and got good results? I was practicing in my room which is really small and dead to practice in, so it was hard to tell if I just got louder. My main question is, is this the approach I should take until it becomes muscle memory? Find something to make me mad so I use my air better and be more aggressive until my body gets used to it?

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    You eventually become your own best teacher.......

experience makes a pro.

The madder you got, the more you tightened your chops w/o pressing against your face, maybe?

3. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    As a counter point, I noticed during my lesson tonight that I start off playing high nice and easy, and then I keep playing and I start mashing the horn to my face (a little, but you follow what I'm saying). Rest for a few seconds before next part of lesson and nice and clean again.

It's only an 1/2 hour lesson - of course I played some before the lesson, but it's not likely it's as much fatigue as something mental going on. I know it, I look for what I am doing when it feels nice and easy, and yet I nevertheless revert back to pressure.

I think it's getting somewhat better, but I keep expecting the light to turn on and for me to "get it."

I'd say this is the "flip side" of what the OP is observing.?.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I play a lot of golf. Once, on the driving range, I was frustrated and took a VERY aggressive swing. I absolutely smoked that 6 iron, high and deep. But was it the anger, of did I finally just forget about controlling my swing, let the body take over and think only about hitting the stupid ball? I think it was letting go that let me hit that shot. And I've hit more since, without the anger. Maybe you finally forgot about the sunburn and thought about how you sounded and ended up doing what you always do. Eventually, anger would lead to tension, and that's not good for much.

Also, when you're dealing with a sunburn or something that makes the chops feel lousy, somtimes it just takes a little longer for everything to get in sync. That could've just coincided with your increasing frustration.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bruno Walter called it "impulse of will." Follow it, Myshilomy, and let us know where it leads!

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Well, the potential problem here is, what if you develop the habit of thinking of something that makes you mad and in the end, that is not what helped your playing. Then you are stuck with being a grouch that nobody wants to be around so then there will be nobody to hear you play. It seems like there should be a better way to reproduce the effect that you experienced that not only makes you a better trumpet player but a better musician and a better person.

Also, keep in mind that with a sunburned face, you likely had swollen lips from the heat and that would have momentarily caused a bad sound. Once that is gone, you may not need the 'frustration factor' any more to sound good.

Just a thought...

7. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I think my lips have been a little swollen, my 3C mouthpiece has felt a little small and lately have been using my ! 1/2C with better results simply because it is bigger and my lips might be a little bigger due to swelling.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Just a thought - is there such a thing as an intelligent ball? ROFL

9. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    If there was, I'd buy it! Then it would fear the sand, water, long grass...

10. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    ... dark holes...

Nope, not a good idea!