Getting my Wisdom Teeth Out!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Sep 25, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Both my bottow and top row set of wisdom teeth are growing inverted so I have to have them removed. The doctor says I'll be out of the trumpet world for 3 weeks on average. So my question is how much "chops" will you lose in three weeks? I have a college audition I'm working on, and I'm kinda worried. :dontknow:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    3 weeks means 8 more to get back to where you are now. Win the audition first!

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I agree with Rowuk much of the time, but here I think that he may be wrong, based on what my son did last summer when he had his wisdom teeth out. He was at the point where hit hurt him to play the trumpet because of the impacted wisdom teeth. He was back playing a week after the stitches came out and within another week he was almost back to his old self. Four weeks was all he needed, but he was practicing between two and six hours each day. Which is what you should be doing when you're preparing for an audition anyway. Not all in a single session, but scattered throughout the day, of course.

Warning -- my son's experience may be quite different from yours and even what Rowuk has said. It may take you 12 weeks. Don't push it -- if it hurts or your gums start to leak blood STOP playing immediately and for goodness sake take your doctor's advice and don't start to play until he/she says it's okay for you to play again. If you don't follow your doctor's advice you risk doing far greater damage to your mouth which would set your playing a lot further back.

Good luck to you -- how long until your college audition? How big a gap between your operation and the audition?

4. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I haven't contacted them about an exact time. I'm shooting for after Christmas

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    DH,
    my comment was intended for an advanced player with an audition coming up short term. I don't know how well your son plays.

Summer vacation is usually a good time to get this stuff done. The powers of the sun help us heal much more quickly than in winter where we have considerably less light.

I have also played 2 days after a root canal, blood and all. The show must go on sometimes. In Spirits case, I would still audition first if possible.

6. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    What does it mean to have inverted wisdom teeth, because my wisdom teeth appear to be growing horizontally, and I'm afraid that I might have to get them removed. Will I?

7. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    Talk to your dentist about possibilities...for instance, my two (well, 4) front teeth are sort of in an X formation...on the left half, the bottom tooth goes behind the top, and on the right, the top goes behind the bottom. I had a chat with a dentist, and they said that the current opinion was that if I wasn't having trouble, there was no need to "fix" what isn't necessarily "broken". Your office might hold the same opinion...just my two cents. It hasn't necessarily impacted my playing negatively, does your problem affect yours? That'd be my question.

8. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I had a similar idea. I was worried that I would have to get it removed, however, because it's basically growing into my other teeth. There's still a one centimeter gap right now, but it might grow and make the gap smaller and smaller until I have to get it pulled out.

9. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Only your dentist can really answer the question. As your wisdom teeth grow horizontally into the other teeth, they will all press into each other and can become quite painful. And they can all be pushed out of line, which can drastically alter your trumpet playing. Your dentist will be the best one to advise you on whether or not you need to get the wisdom teeth out or not, and also on when you will need to get them done.

I quite agree with Rowuk on how it would be best to get the audition done before the wisdom teeth are extracted, if at all possible, since you're now playing with a mouth you've grown accustomed to and will likely do your best with at the present time. There's no knowing how getting the wisdom teeth out will affect your playing, so if possible either get them out after the audition, or with enough lead-time, get them out immediately if your dentist says it really can't wait, and allow several months to try to get your playing back to where it is now.

10. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    To have inverted wisedom teeth is exactly like you just said. They grow to the side inside of vertically. It's quite common now