Getting Organized...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Jul 29, 2008.

1. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    So I would like to ask you guys a couple of questions. I know they have probably been answered before, but I figured I mine as well ask again.

1. How do you guys organize your music?
    2. How do you guys organize your practice sessions?

I seem to have a very unorganized practice and therefore end up not getting to everything I need to get to... I am starting to get organized with my life, but I need some help getting started...

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I organized my music as follows:
    1. Method Books
    2. Performance Pieces
    A. Trumpet with Organ
    B.Trumpet with Piano
    C.Trumpet in Orchestra

My practice session is as follows:
    Charles Butler Daily Routine
    Rest
    Charles Peters Total Range followed by
    Arban's double and triple tonguing until exhaustion.
    Lots of rest (like a nap!)
    Pieces to preform--30 days in advance is the time to start.
    Hang out at TM and google pictures of my favorite actress.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Try start you`r practice session at the same time everyday if you can. I always start with long tones , range,slur`s chromatic scale`s then everything else.

4. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    I have organized my music in many ways. First of all, when I purchase a piece I scan it and save the trumpet and piano part on an 8gb flash drive i bought. Second, I keep all of the originals in a 4 drawer filing cabinet. Each drawer is for a different trumpet Bb, C, Eb/D, and Picc. Third I have random binders set up with copies of different pieces. One binder is be full of lyrical pieces while another is full of those pieces I need to multiple tongue in. Not only do i find that this makes practicing technique more interesting but it also keeps me fresh on pieces i might want to just pull out and perform. When it comes time to perform a piece I always go to the original when I start working it up. You want your markings to be on the paper you are using for the concert/recital, and I have found quiet a few piano players that will not play with me if I dont have the original. I started doing this because I found along the years I some how ended up with 3 original piano parts to the Halsey Stevens and one COPY of the trumpet part. I dont know how, but it happened.

As far as organizing practice I always try to do 45 min on and 15 min off. The day doesnt always allow for this in a reasonable manner so sometimes I have to take what I can get. But I always warm up for 30 min then multiple tongue for 15 straight. very few breaks whwile working on articulation (unless something isnt working). In that case I slow down and take breaks often to try to work the problem out. After my first break it really depends on the day and the goal ahead of me (recital, comp, juries, concert, ect...)
    JR

5. Sneakyheathen

Sneakyheathen New Friend

Jul 30, 2008
    I have yet to come up with a system for my practicing, but I keep all of my old music in one folder, and all of my recent music in another, with the basics and foundation stuff on one side and the music on the other.