Getting over a Slump

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BobtheBigFoot, Sep 19, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I guess that Bob did not like our answers. Chose also not to respond to the questions. I guess it can't be very important............

mgcoleman likes this.
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    hmmm ...were we suppose to say you need a new trumpet and mp?

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Not everyone has what it takes to play the trumpet........Their the ones that sit on the other side of the bell.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  4. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    2 quick points:
    1) Endurance is not something that just comes and goes randomly, just as endurance doesn't randomly come and go for long distance runners. There is no miracle rabbit in the hat: no special horn, no "cheater" MP and no 1-minute-per-day drill that is going to immediately transform a high school player into a collegiate performance major.
    2) The likelihood is very slim of receiving help via the internet better than that which your teacher, who has the benefit of first hand experience with your playing, can provide.

Pardon the bluntness of my answers, but, as the saying goes, the truth requires no introductions.

coolerdave likes this.
  5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I am willing to bet that you either practice too much or don't allow enough time to rest when you do practice. I have the same problem at times. I have noticed that in rehearsals my range improves over a 2 hr period. In rehearsals I have times of forced rest that my chops need. At home I have not yet conditioned myself to put the horn down as much as it is on my face. Every time I put the rest as much as you play theory to use my playing improves. The probelm I have is that each time I start to improve I start to feel bullet proof and forget to rest. That is followed by slow or no progress until I start practicing smartly again.

mgcoleman likes this.
  6. BobtheBigFoot

BobtheBigFoot New Friend

May 15, 2011
    you may be right. I used to have a private lessons teacher, but he retired from it a year ago and I havent been seeing a private lesson teacher regularly ever since.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay, now you have a handle on it... if you tell us where you live soemone , I bet you will get some awesome suggestions for an instructor