Getting rid of airy tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Aug 31, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I'm getting a very airy sound in my instrument for nearly every single note as I play. What causes this? Is there any way to get rid of it?

2. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    Stop listening to Chet Baker! - just kidding...

Is this a recent thing and you're doing nothing differently? Any changes in equipment? If no changes, could you possibly have an air leak at one of your spit valves (if standard type) because of a deteriorated cork?

3. trmpt_plyr

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I have had a recent embouchure change. And the air can be heard going into the tubing from my mouth. Maybe it's the cork, but I don't think that it's coming from the cork.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    an airy sound means that your lips are not under control and too much air "leaks" through. That can be due to to lack of strength, bad practice habits or beat up lips (or all three).

5. trmpt_plyr

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    You mean that air that doesn't cause vibration is leaking through into the horn, making the airy sound? I understand. I recently underwent an embouchure change, and it happens all the time. Do you think it will go away with daily practice?

6. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Maybe your embouchure itself is causing the airy tone. Are your lips placed a reasonable amount inside the cup?

7. trmpt_plyr

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I think so. Top lip 60% bottom lip 40%

8. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I think that you aren't getting enough air or you are not blowing enough air. You don't have enough air to blow the note so it just blows air.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Whoever made you do the embouchure change would be the person to ask. My opinion about those types of things is well published.

Tone is based on your listening and practicing habits. Embouchure changes can take up to a year before things turn positive.

In 30 years of teaching, I have only needed 3 students to change much of anything. ALL of the rest practiced healthy stuff and let gravity accomplish the rest.