Getting sight reading back

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rick Chartrand, Jan 20, 2005.

1. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Try the computer program the band in the box.This program is great for reading and improv

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Sachse transposed and duets almost everyday.

ML

3. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    I use the Starer book in college and it is very nice... starts out very easy and gets into very complicated rhythm's. It will definatley help.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ah - transposition...THAT is one of the other things at the top of my list I would like to improve, right along with sight reading and jazz improv.

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Yeah, that's it. Starer isn't really a work book, just a set of excercizes. I used that book in Solfege for four semesters. It helps to have someone guide you through it; there are pretty straightforward rhythmic examples but I got the most out of the variations given to my by my solfege teacher.

-Jimi

6. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    The only way to get good at sight reading is by trying to read a huge amount of material you've never seen before. The suggestions about local bands were right on the mark. If you have to sight read in actual performance situations you'll get good at it. It's something I had to do just last week. Good exercise.

Michael McLaughlin

The statistician lay with his head in the oven and his feet in ice, and on the average he felt fine.
    Garrison Keillor