Getting started the natural way

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tatakata, Mar 12, 2008.

1. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    so how do I get started with the natural trumpet. where do I buy the horn and mouthpiece. Any books I should try playing out of? How much is a natty going to set me back?

Seems like there is a more of a market for this these days.

2. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  4. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
  5. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I highly recommend the trumpet building course. I think I already posted about this before. It was a real gratifying experience to build your own natural trumpet. i would like to do it again some time.

They have one workshop in Bloomington, IN near IU, and one in Rostock, Germany.

You will build a natural trumpet from scratch.

6. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
  7. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Get hold of an Eb cavalry trumpet like this one:

Gold Lacquer Cavalry Trumpet - Superb on eBay, also, Bugle, Brass, Musical Instruments (end time 22-Apr-08 00:51:28 BST)

Then organise some crooks.
    Its much simpler than starting from scratch.

I used to have one, here is a picture:

[​IMG]

I have also made my own natural trumpet from plumbing tubing and the bell off an old trumpet.
    I did not have a spare leadpipe so I had to make one from interlocking sections of tubing off the donor instrument.
    I finished it off with a tuneable leadpipe that I had lying around.
    The secret was to make the instrument in two sections of tubing which could be gradually trimmed back to get the correct length.

I am on holiday and only have limited access to scanning etc but I am going to measure it all up and make photographs of it so you can have a go at making one.
    I think it cost about £10 to make in total because I had the donor parts.

The best way to do the leadpipe is to use one from a Bb trumpet and adapt the slide end so it takes a clamp for tuning adjustment, then put the leg of the old tuning slide into the pipe it is attaching to.
    I have seen this method used often and its very effective.

8. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    A nice resource to make a fake, but serviciable natural trumpet, is mr. Donaldson website. Take a look: Baroque Trumpet

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    If you start out with the hose and funnel I recommend the transmission oil funnel. The funnel is purchased at Wal-Mart and is usually black, long, and slender. The length is about 18 inches. It is by far the best choice for the bell. You will need a short, 8 inch, length of tigon tubing with an inside diameter of .75 inches. Jam the short length onto the funnel. Then you choose a length of .375 inch tigon tubing for the rest. I chose 8 feet. The .375 inch tube fits inside the .75 inch tube so you can transition to the funnel.

You will note that the .375 tigon tube is approximately the inside diameter of most modern trumpets.

I keep mine in the car and buzz on long trips. I have used it to irritate French horn players. I can nearly blend with the horn section with their $4000 plus instruments.

Tigon tube is purchased at Lowes or Home Depot.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The VanRyne baroque trumpets look like they were built this way too. Donor parts and that Frankenstein look.............