Getting stiffed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Jul 2, 2006.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    How do you handle this? How do you straighten up people and get them to pay you?

I just played a wedding (a full length concert, more like) and the contractor/manager person said at the end of the ceremony "I aplogize, but I have nothing for you right now. Write your name and address on this paper and I'll send your check to you."

Yeah. Right. "The check's in the mail".

Question is, now what?

If I don't hear from this guy, do I contact the parents of the bride?

What do you say to them? I know the caterer, photographer, limousine drivers, florists, and DJ all had to be paid too. No pay, no service, right?

I'm getting more and more miffed as I think about this. They did not even offer a gracious thank you. After we played 6 pieces! (And did not suck, either, thank you).

I've never been stiffed...guess there's a first time for everything.

2. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    I'm sorry that happened....best of luck
    Matt

3. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is exactly what contracts are for. If it comes down to it, take him to court. Although, you don't have much to stand on without a contract.

4. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think you will get your money.

I had this happen a couple of times and got paid.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Sounds like the contractor is working on clearing up back debts before addressing new ones. Remember that next time they call you!

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Getting 'stiffed'.

When I was relatively new to professional photography I was foolish enough that I contracted to do some wedding photography. I learned a LOT, really fast. As you have already been told a contract is an imperitive. You have no legal claim for payment from the contractor without a contract in writing, signed by all responsible parties and notorized. In most cases, the bride's mom is the worst culprit. I will go so far as to say that in almost every wedding that I shot, the mother of the bride ended up being a first class bitch. They all demanded more than they had contracted to pay for and got really nasty when the terms of the contract were shown to them. If wedding music is your thing, at least become enough of a businessman that you have a contract in advance and at least 50 percent up front, balance immediately upon completion of the job.

As to your current dilemma, I wish you my best, and will cross my fingers for you.

OLDLOU>>

8. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    Next time, require payment before the ceremony. If you're prepared to walk out and not just bluff, you'll get your check very fast.

9. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    A contract with the stipulation that you get paid before you perform is the best bet. On thesmokinggun.com I found out that a certain famous singer with whom I've worked several times has a contract that says before she will go on stage she must receive $25,000 in a briefcase delivered directly to her. The remainder of the fee must be presented at the same time in a certified check. It's the same principle though on a different scale.

Michael McLaughlin

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    Mark Twain

10. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    To assuage your frustration a bit, just write it off to "education". Every bit of learning in this life has a cost. You've now paid yours for this lesson. Just be sure to learn from it.
    Best,

T/