Getting stiffed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Jul 2, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I am also with the idea of trust. If you look back you will see that I posted that I thought you would get paid.

The only time I really had trouble was with students (parents) and I didn't get paid a couple of times from schools and had the union call.
    I used to play along with a guy that was just like the guy Manny talked about. This guy was a really good player and really rude. He doesn't play any more.

2. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    When I was in college, I took it upon myself to take some business classes due to the fact that one day I would have a budget as a band director. I never ended up being a band director but those classes helped when I played gigs on the side while in the Army. IMHO, business classes should be a requirement in college for anyone wanting a degree. It helps to avoid situations like the one in this post. Just my 2cents.

P.S. Glad you weren't stiffed in the end.

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Good Show Glenn... :cool:

4. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I've been playing weddings for over 30 years and have never been stiffed, but sometimes it takes a WHILE for them to get around to paying. I nicely tell people when they hire me that after the wedding they are going to be very busy with pictures, the reception, etc. I very much appreciate it if they give the organist my payment at the rehearsal. That makes one less thing for them to remember the next day.

5. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    This thread reminds me of a wedding I played in Houston just a few weeks before I moved here back in 1997. It was a "society" wedding for some very wealthy people in Houston who paid me with a check right before the service. I went and cashed it the next day, and it came back with the account closed! Basically with that check there was nothing I could do. I was so mad! :x I started calling them daily, calls which were never returned, and was going to persue it to the end, but as I say, I got a job here and never had to opportunity to collect. Had I continued doing that sort of freelancing I definitely would have changed my business practices!

JU

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Not just for musicians, Mike. When I graduated with my Engineering degree I thought I had it all set; a few years working in head offices and doing some contract administration (along with setting cost/price points for industrial equipment) changed all that. First opportunity I got I was back at school for a 2nd in Business Management. Never regretted it for a moment (and it was actually FUN to get out of the race for a couple of years).