Getting Students to Listen!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jul 12, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I convinced my 10 year old student to start watching youtube videos of great players to help him develop a sense of what a good sound is.

Doc
    Wynton
    Maynard
    Satchmo
    Maurice Andre
    Alison Balsom
    Arturo

I mentioned that Alison was a looker.

I had a phone conversation with his mom shortly after the lesson. He told his mom, " Jimmy said that Alison Balsom is hot and I have to see her!" She mentioned this as I could hear Alison playing in the background. I guess it worked.

As a teacher you have to use what ever angle you can to reach your students. :D

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is a nice list and I think it is a good place to start. Roll models can leave a good lasting impression. To make sure we support good lookers (and performers) under equal opportunity format, Chris Botti ain't so bad either, and his comtemporary approach (and real nice personality) may also be motivational to your son.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Chet's ugly.... what are you going to do then??

4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Chris is great too. I wasn't sold on him until listening to an interview where he talked constantly of practicing and working to develop as a player. I can respect that regardless of how I feel about a player's chosen style of playing.

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I was hoping that the pretty lady would getting him started. I am hoping that the pretty sounds will keep him coming back.

6. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    as an ADD kid my teacher had trouble making me sit but in 4th grade I found a great passion for jazz and eventually had Dizzy Gilespie as my role model and got a book that I still have today and LOVE jazz. If you can find a certian type of music this kid likes then you should find his nitch for trumpet

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

+1 for this inspirational prescription. I would add Trombone Shorty to the list also.

Turtle

8. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    I teach instrumental and classroom music in an arts magnet school. I frequently bring in dvd's of very accomplished musicians from many different styles for the kids to watch. One of my favorites for my brass players is the GRP Big Band where the trumpet section comes out front to play Cherokee. Maynard playing Maynard Ferguson on the Ed Sullivan show is another good one. Sometimes I show the instrumental kids another of my favorite musicians, Jake Shimabukuro, an ukulele virtuoso from Hawaii. The kids are always amazed at his playing.The point is to expose them to really great players, doesn't matter what they play.

9. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    I felt the same way, had a lot more respect for Botti after watching him on Legends of Jazz. Still don't care for his music style.

Legends of Jazz: Chris Botti - My Funny Valentine - YouTube

Great solo at the end of the show which isn't on YouTube. He can really play.

10. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Did you know? Trombone Shorty is featured on MTV frequently. Making jazz cool to my generation, to an extent.

He's definitely the type of guy I'd show to a youngster - hopefully to get his blood boiling and get him started on that lifelong musical journey.

For me, I believe at the age of 12 or 13, it was mostly Miles, Maynard, Dizzy and Satchmo that got me started.

Funny because I'd consider myself mostly a classical player now. Role models were and are such a fundamental aspect of my musical and personal life.