Getting Students to Listen!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jul 12, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It's about motivating more than emulating anyway .... whatever gets the horn on the kids chops..I am for it ..... for the most part anyway :)

2. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    I don't show the kids these magnificent musicians to scare them or turn them off. I always point out that the Arturo's and Maynard's of the world were beginners and had to work hard to be able to what they do. I do this to inspire some kid the way my heroes inspired me.

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Exactly.

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting comment BustedChops. I made the tour with my daughter celebrating with all her friends' high school graduation parties. Many had DJs and a few bands playing at the "get togethers". All the music I heard was from the 70s and 80's (Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Moody Blues). So I asked my daughter, why her friends don't play songs from their own generation. She replied: "Because they're most obscene". Pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yeah ..... some rough lyrics in years of late. Seems like students listen more easily at a younger age ..... like 6. Six year olds usually will listen to whatever you put on the stereo .... but 16 year olds? Eeee. Not unless it's "cool" whatever that means at the moment.

If I was teaching, I'd teach my students to do what I've been doing for years ..... Set aside TIME and call it practice, so that it's serious time, to just sit and listen to specific things from recordings. Like, tone, or phrasing, or whatever. But the point is, setting aside daily time to ONLY listen, improves the listening skills.

Times are tough for lyrics so listening to things from the past helps enormously, where lyrics were generally cleaner.

And to make matters worse, American Idol is losing JLo and SteTy.:shhh:

Turtle

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012