Getting the best of learning and practicing double tongueing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Mar 2, 2009.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I am a junior in high school who is fairly talented.I really have a need to get faster and more exact in my "high speed playing" and double tongueing. What should I work on when improving my double tongeing and higher speed playing.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. max3k

max3k Mezzo Piano User

Jan 7, 2007
    Humbleness does not a trumpet player make.

Get a copy of Arban

3. Bertman

Bertman New Friend

Feb 8, 2009
    Norwich, UK
    lol, exactly what I was thinking max3k

4. Bertman

Bertman New Friend

Feb 8, 2009
    Norwich, UK
    Man, I wish I had all the nice horns he has too

5. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    The clarke studies are great for both speed and tonguing.Study one is great for improving your speed and agility. Clarke recommends you play them as written as well as D.T.Once you start to memorize them you can really concentrate on the D.T.I"ve been working out of this book since January every day and its really improved both speed and D.T.In fact my lazy third valve finger has brought itself in sync with the other two automatically.I can"t say enough about this book.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

You definitely have confidence.

Try Clark studies with a metronome. Keep kicking up the speed until your double and triple tonguing are at the same level of greatness as the rest of your playing...

7. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Sorry about sounding like a jerk guys is there also some double tongeing sight reading you can tell me or just any sight reading at all

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You don't sound like a jerk. You sound like a trumpet player. How about a good teacher. They will keep you from developing bad habits.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I like confidence, good for you! If there's one thing the world doesn't need is an unsure, mamby pamby attitude about how one plays the trumpet.
    That kind of behavior is usually relegated to the reed section (clarinets in particular). When you're good, say so. When you suck, say so and work on fixing it.
    Some days you'll win, some days the trumpet wins, that's life.
    About tonguing:
    Generally, we blow too hard for the quick light flicks that the tongue must do to get the job done. Is your tongue tight and feel like a release valve for a bunch of high pressure air behind it? Lighten up on the air pressure. Only use enough air to get the job done. When your tongue begins to feel like a pressure valve for a tank of compressed gas, lighten up on the air pressure.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  10. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Last year a student teacher at my school taught us an excersise that we could do without a horn. I definately prefer the Arban method for double tonguing, but this works somewhat well.

I dug a hole
    I dugadug a hole
    I dugadugadug a hole
    And so on. It's not the same as practicing on the trumpet, mind you.