Getting the mold out?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Oct 5, 2009.

1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    What would be a good (not so expensive) way of getting the green mold/rust out? My cleaning brush doesn't work. Is there a special soap I can buy that would help me? :play:

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Do you use pure vinegar or is it diluted with water?

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Vinegar may work on mold removal.

However, if you see some foreign material inside your horn that normal soap and a scrub brush does not remove then it is almost certainly a mineral deposit.

You are going to need something stronger than vinegar to remove a mineral deposit.

I have used a couple different cleaners with success. One was a mineral remover I picked up at the hardware store that was made for cleaning humidifiers. It contained a weak form of HCl. A second is a mineral remover I picked up at a local farm supply store.
    It is an acid also, not sure what forumla.

The important thing with using these is to actually observe what you are doing.
    First, get a pen light, or something that lets you see the inside of your horn.
    When your horn is clean and dry, the inside should be shiny. It may have oxidation of various colors, which is typical for brass, but it should be smooth and shiny.

If it isn't, you've got mineral deposits.

So here's what I do:

1) Clean the slide (or other pipe that's dirty) with mild soap and water and a brush
    2) Dry it
    3) Inspect for remaining debris
    4) If debris (minerals) remain then fill the slide with your mineral remover.
    Be careful not to get it on the external finish or your hands
    5) Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes
    6) Dump the acid and rinse the slide
    7) Wash the slide with mild soap and water using brush
    8) Rinse and dry

Your slide whould be nice and clean. If not then GRADUALLY increase the amount of time the acid sits in the slide.

Do NOT place your whole horn in an acid bath or anything else for that matter besides water. Chemical based cleaners that work by soaking will not only remove gunk but will take some of your brass and/or finish with them.

Hope this helps,

Greg

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Would a typical chem or ultrasonic clean from a brass shop do the trick?

5. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    Here's what my teacher does and what I do.

I take the horn, stick a pipe into the whatever-it's-called-in-English where you put your mouthpiece. Set some pressure on the pipe and flush hot (not very hot though, or you'll know what happens) water through the pipe. It does not damage the horn in any way, only gets rid of the mold and other annoying stuff with pure pressurised water flow. Works like a charm to me.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  6. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I will try Using vinegar and maybe some other acid.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Let's just back up the truck a bit - vinegar is the preferred solution for cleaning vacuum toilets on large Boeing and Airbus aircraft. These toilets gather crap (literally) from hundreds of sources, filled with all kinds of internal chemicals, bacteria, viruses, fats, acids, Kranzkys, Vegemite sandwiches and stuff. Where the waste products slow down in the extraction system then the mineral deposits build up - until we hit it with vinegar.

Vinegar dissolves all the hard deposits and most of the soft ones too. Where there is a problem with excessive build-up then we allow vinegar to soak awhile (is this sounding familiar) and send a charge of dry ice down the toilet's Supesonic Sh*t Shute (yeah yeah - chute) to abrade the really difficult stuff away - works like a charm on hundreds of airplanes around the world probably every day - so why not a trumpet? :cool:

Vacuum toilets work on differential pressure, essentially like a trumpet, (even sometimes the sounds are similar) and any scale in your trumpet has got to be loads less 'problematical' than the waste service in your average airplane.

I say go with the vinegar - it is a great natural cleaner. :thumbsup:

8. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Thanks ted for the explanation. I now know for sure that the vinegar will clean my trumpet.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    RAK, please don't think I am decrying what Greg, and the others have said to you - their comments are very valid - I just know a bit about how successfully vinegar cleans stuff out of air tubes (and you all thought I just knew about Rolls Royce Gas Turbine Engines, hah!). ROFL

10. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Oh no that's not what I was thinking. Greg is a Good person and so is everyone else.