Getting the mold out?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Oct 5, 2009.

  1. RAK

    RAK Piano User

    388
    2
    Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    My guess is Lacquer wont get damaged because it is a plastic. If you leave the vinegar on the horn for a while than maybe it will. I would wash with acid for only 30 minutes the most.

    I would not risk putting my whole instrument into vinegar. I would mix some vinegar with water tho and the vinegar shouldn't hurt the lacquer(not sure about silver/gold)

    I tried using vinegar and it worked. Metal polish works better but its hard to get it inside the tubing.
     
  2. trumpet656

    trumpet656 New Friend

    4
    0
    Nov 12, 2009
    I would not put any acid solution in or on my horn. Laquer is a clear paint like finish applied to the brass of the horn. Laquer is also applied to paint fishes of cars. I know I painted many cars for Ford Motor Company while in college.

    It is not plastic and will wear and chip easier in the prsence of acid. Skin has acid in sweat, so why do you think turmpet finishes wear on tha valve casing. Spend a few bucks.

    Why not pour Coca-cola on your horn. I takes battery acid off your battery terminals.

    Be smart not cheap. Only use some water to clean out your horn and dry is well with soft cloth.
     
  3. RAK

    RAK Piano User

    388
    2
    Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I figured that one out. I now use just water. Sometimes I add a little chlorine and scrub the green and it comes of.
     
  4. jbkirby

    jbkirby Forte User

    1,115
    159
    Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    RAK has a good point: If mold is the issue, a dilute flush with household bleach does wonders, destroying and removing the mold and leaving the horn clean. A word of caution, bleach is an oxidant (think rust/tarnish) and will begin the tarnishing process, even after thorough rinsing, on a silver plated horn requiring an extensive polishing job. I found this out the hard way. ;-)
     
  5. gzent

    gzent Fortissimo User

    3,724
    758
    Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    RAK - good idea! If its just mold then bleach is fine. If its still "murky" after that, take it to a pro shop, don't damage your horn because you like to experiment.
     
  6. Haley2011

    Haley2011 New Friend

    5
    0
    Nov 11, 2009
    hey, let me know how the vinegar works if you dont mind...

    -haley
     
  7. gzent

    gzent Fortissimo User

    3,724
    758
    Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    read the thread
     

Share This Page