Getting the mouthpiece to do more of the work.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Jan 19, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    NO! -- but at least you get a medal????? ya,ya,ya,ya,ya ROFL ROFL ROFL
    Muttley Medal - YouTube

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Sounds reasonable. Thing is that the multitude of rim shape choices isn't well developed. I believe that a lot of beginners would be far better served on a rounded rim contour with a well rounded "bite". We don't see these very often though.

Most of the mouthpieces i see have flattish rims with fairly sharp bites. Even some of the shallow screamer pieces still have flat rims. It seems to me that the rounded medium wide rim with well rounded bite ought to be developed on all sizes of rims and depths of cups.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No offense taken. Dale... Seriously... Have you read my posts in the past. I REALLY NEED grammar police. Seriously... and Thank you!

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Sorry Doc, missed that one. :-?

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Gman with the Aristotelian smack down. Love it!

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yes, I read most of your posts, but I haven't really noticed any grammar goof-ups of any consequence. I'm not into correcting grammar (and other composition) errors on sites like these. It's obnoxious to do so, and it would be a full time job...

About the only posts I don't read are your exchanges with kingtrumpet. Nuff said about that, especially since he awarded me a cartoon medal a few posts earlier. :whistle:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Love working through physics solutions, especially as it related to the trumpet. I used this phrasing a lot in my past life while working through my PhD thesis on quantum chemistry regarding electron transfer through mitochondria during oxidative phosphorylation (converting respiratory energy to chemical energy). So trumpet physics is at the heart of my soul.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why are the big words always spelled right?????????????????

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ya, ya, ya, ya, ya, ya!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Schilke rims are like this. Rounded medium wide rim with a well rounded bite. And I like his backbone design better than Bach's. Selmer Bach started the trend toward the flattish rims with a sharp inner bite. They said it would help the young student get cleaner attacks. I like the Stork rims because they have a rounded bite.