Getting the slide in

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MtTrump92203, Apr 27, 2009.

1. MtTrump92203

MtTrump92203 New Friend

Apr 27, 2009
    I'm a sophmore in college and when i play my tuning slide is out quite a bit (a little over an inch)and when I talk to other students or guest artists they all say my slide should only be out a little and def not that much however they never tell me what to work on to get the pitch down and the slide in. Does anyone have any ideas or advise here, it would be greatly appreciated thanks

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I would guess that you play with quite a bit of tension. However, if you are a sophmore in college why not sign up for some lessons with the trumpet teacher and see what he has to say as far as your sound and the slide?

3. Amir

Amir New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    Israel
    It may be the trumpet itself.
    I had a selmer concept TT that the tuning slide always had to be an inch out.
    But today when I play a getzen severinsen i need to take out the slide only 1/2 inch max.
    By the way, I gave the selmer to my neighbor (We switched trumpets because he's retired and hes getzen has a better sound for classical music) and he too needs to take the tuning slide out an inch or so.
    So maybe you can figure it out if it's the trumpet or you if you'll try another trumpet?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is NO set position for the slide. It belongs where your playing is in tune. The position of the slide does give some indication what you could work on next. From the day we pick up the horn to the day we stop playing, our situation is in flux. If we pay attention, we get clues about how to get the most with the least effort. That is efficiency.

In your case, I would just say, ignore the slide - and those that think that that is indicative of your playing qualities. Work on your breathing, musicality and chop strength and let the hardware configuration solve itself.

NEVER think that hardware should control the software.

5. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    A lot of people assume that their way of playing is the right one. Just because you play with it out doesn't necessarily mean your wrong-- every trumpet is different -- but if you ARE playing with too much tension, that could hurt you in the long run. Your private lesson teacher probably has some thoughts to share about this.

6. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I was used to playing with our pianos (which were tuned regularly); also church playing etc. My slide was out maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch. In our jazz ensemble, we tune electronically; I am pulling my tuning slide out over 1 inch. Our band leader always says to just play the horn when tuning - do not adjust with lip or other intonation. I find this works, but am still working on a consistent tuning regimen.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I wonder if anybody has ever worried about how far we have to push the gas pedal down to drive at 50mph?

When I fill up at Shell I only have to breathe on the gas pedal to smoke the tires.........

The tuning slide is there to TUNE. Success is not measured in inches. It is measured in tears (of joy).

8. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    If you're tuning slide needs to go out farther then "normal", you might want to get your horn checked out by an experienced repair technician. Have him examine the construction quality and workmanship. My Strad's tuning slide was pulled out a little father then usual (I've noticed this fact on many strad's that have serial numbers close to mine, it's pre-strike). Contacting M&K Tuning slides, I received a few of their slides for a short trial period. Using the M&K square one, I received better intonation then with the one that came from the factory. Examining both, the M&K had far superior metal and workmanship. It wouldn't surprise me if physically that helped improve the horn and fix the intonation issues.

9. BILL VAN

BILL VAN Pianissimo User

Jan 29, 2007
    Pompano Beach
    uh oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL