Getting the Stink Eye While Practicing on Lunch

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by leftmid7, Oct 22, 2010.

1. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Thought I'd share, this just happened. I was out in my van during lunch hour practicing with a sshh mute. The volume is seriously so low I've heard people on cell phones talk louder. Granted I had the windows open but it is an incredible day.

Well, one of the neighboring office ladies(one of a cadre who walk on their breaks, although for some of them their food intake must still be too high;) came around doing a lap pretty close to the building. The 2nd lap she walked right down the middle of the parking lot and when she got just past my van, she stopped, cocked her head and made a stink face in my direction, then kept going. About 5 minutes later she comes right up to the car next to me, acts like shes looking for something in the bushes, comes around the car now right NEXT to my van, looks directly in the windows at me for a split second then walks away, once again with the stink eye, but never says a word. I kept playing the whole time just to see whether she would say anything.

Once again, the volume was super low and I wasn't playing anything annoying like repetitive intervals or something, it was an arrangement I am working on of 'Look For The Silver Lining' ala Chet Baker and it sounds killer even when soft.

Why do some people get all out of whack if something is going on out of the ordinary? sheesh.

Any other funny practice stories out there?

2. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    9/11:dontknow:

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

Yeah you could be deploying a 'dirty audio bomb' or something! Why?!?!? Because generally people are fu**ing stupid! If you had not been using the mute and had been spiinning out a Kenny G melody or a polka, she probably would have smiled at you....

bigtiny

4. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Maybe she is intrigued!

5. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Yeah what if it wasn't the stink eye but rather a curious face? They look pretty similar-

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    She likes you and/or your playing and was hoping that you would invite her in. (?)

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    next time -- I would jump out of my van and do some of the highest notes you can play, play loudly, play a great song or a few phrase and then explain to her - how nice it is that she is having a FREE concert on a beautiful day -- and then ask if she can SING -- you would be glad to invite her to practice with you ---- and then invite others to you lunchtime concerts. LOL, that should help, or not LOL

8. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    When I was working, I used to practice my horn during lunch hour. However, I used to drive a short way to another building campus, which had a huge lot, and fewer cars due to recession, and practice there. I still got people walking or driving by to check me out, but unless they were cops, I didn't care.

What's more important to you, your practice time or what people think?

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hate the stink eye. I got it most often when I was a street musician for the summer in B.C. Canada (guitar, not trumpet). When it comes with the "walk around" where the pedestrian doesn't want to get too close to a "musician", it can make you laugh. It's usually followed by someone with a smile, or a little kid holding the hand of a parent, who tosses a Loonie into your case, so it all balances out.

Turtle

I don't know about trumpet practice stink eye .... that could be serious.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    She was hitting on you!! No joke!!:-o