Getting the Stink Eye While Practicing on Lunch

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by leftmid7, Oct 22, 2010.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    hey .....when I was in my teens and I practiced at HOME I would be told NOT to play because my cousins baby upstairs was taking a nap then my teacher would be angry that I was not practicing enough and I wanted to play NOT one ounce of incouragement from my @!!! FAMILY Anthony:evil:

2. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Hahaha, thanks guys.

Yeah, maybe it really was a 'what is that?' look and not the stink eye. It was a pretty ugly face if that was the case, though!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If she's a looker, and your single, it might be motivation to develop a regular routine!! :lol:

4. kornork

kornork New Friend

Oct 26, 2009
    I posted this earlier in these forums, but:

I used to practice at the beach, in a public park. One day some guy accosted me and cursed me out for practicing. He threatened to call the police. The experience traumatized me and I've practiced at home ever since.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    If you go for a holiday in Mexico, take along the trumpet! Unless it's a big Americanized or Europeanized resort, you probably won't get any stink eye from anyone. In Mexico, LOUD is a given ....:woop: .... the only place I've ever experienced that was always louder was Madrid. You could stand on a street corner in the middle of the day, playing at full volume, and a lot of people wouldn't even notice you.:-?

Turtle

Americans are so sensitive to "noise". While nobody complains about traffic noise, ongoing air-ratchet machines, etc ...... they'll get buggy over a musician. :dontknow:

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Yeah but obnoxious chuckwads on their cells sounding all important are considered NORMAL.

I suggest before you practice, leave a trail of Twinkies that goes AWAY from where you're practicing. Mix it up with donuts or Ding-Dongs (do they still sell those?) at times.

I have a feeling that reason the lady looked right IN your van at you all ticked-off looking is, maybe your playing sounded like the bells of an ice-cream truck to her, and she was all bent out of shape to find it wasn't. Kinda like a dog when you're opening up some package they think is something they like, but then it turns out to be vegetables.

You may consider investing on some candy and such things in bulk from CostCo, and keep it on hand. food eaten on breaks or standing up or given by someone else or just lying around or on the person next to them's plate or being held by a baby while Mom's not watching doesn't count to "dieters" which is what the obese and eternally ravenous are termed. This is why I advise buying in bulk. Just buy 'em off with chocolate etc. ROFL