getting to know you is out there

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by derekkress, Oct 16, 2009.

1. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    One of the great things about the INTERNET is it gives us a chance to discover players from around the world. What I hope to achieve with this post is to discover the players which are lesser known nationally/internationally but are important artists/professionals in their home town, state, province etc... In most cases now there should be a link to a website or myspace or Youtube clip but if not write a short bio and post!

My pick here in Montreal is Ron DiLauro. A musician's musician and a man with a huge heart. His bio and site pretty much tell his story. Enjoy!

www.rondilauro.com

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Derek,
    Here's one that everybody's heard but virtually no one in the jazz community knows about.
    Johnny Costa from Pittsburgh, PA. USA
    The guy is a monster!! and is never listed in the Jazz Encyclopedias or seen as a figure in jazz.
    To give an idea of just how good he is, one time Costa was invited to play on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. During rehersals the band (along with Costa) was warming up. I'm sure you've heard the sound of many musicians warming up in a room, nothing but chaos. But when Costa started warming up, one by one, the rest of Doc Severensen's band stopped warming up and just listened to Costa.
    I've heard a rare few as good as Costa and never heard anyone better.