Getting to the next level

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nealium, Jan 13, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hmmm.... I see rowuk has grown optimistic over the passage of time. See, those rough edges can smooth. I am still coming from a more acute angle as I would only give <10% chance.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vote number 2 for Bruce Haag.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The motivation that has always worked for me to getting to the next level is:

Practice makes perfect. But nobody's perfect. So why practice?

Think about it. This means if we strive for perfection, and never get there, we keep striving. If we THINK we have reached perfection, then we stop striving. What a let down that could be.

4. Nealium

Nealium New Friend

Jan 9, 2015
    Thank you, Rowuk. I understand your point more clearly. I realize that the title of this thread is a little off base, now. I'll just keep on keeping on until I get a better opportunity down the road. Thank you for the advice, everyone, and any other is welcomed.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You can get a yoga class, artistic analysis from a good singer, work on body use, swim a lot. There are thousands of things useful - not just trumpet lessons. For those that are awake, there is always an opportunity!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Of course - if your an underachiever just trying to get better day by day - a little practice is a good thing - and when you achieve more than the previous week -- then you have accomplished more than you expected

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Nealium, after processing all this advice, what do you propose to do?

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Here's a thought. A former co-worker and friend of mine knows I'm a musician and that I gig around, and at one point in his past, he played a bit of guitar. Took lessons, practiced a lot - don't know if he gigged much, if any, but he gained a certain proficiency with it.

Then life happened. He joined the Peace Corps, spent a couple of years in Nicaragua, found love, got married, had a couple of kids and established himself in his IT career.

He kept saying to me, "I really want to start playing again - I've got to get a teacher and get going on it." And then nothing happened. This was several years back, and in the times it has come up in conversation, still nothing has happened with it - I did a basic once-over on his guitars once when he brought them over - I cleaned them up, conditioned the fret board and restrung them for him, but to my knowledge, he's still mired with no follow-through on that first step of getting a teacher.

I've said to him many times - dude, you KNOW the basics. Get some books, get out the guitars and get to work! PLAY the danged things! Somewhere along the line he got the idea in his head that he needs to be led by the nose by a teacher before he can do anything on his own.

Someone who is motivated can find it within themselves to go a long way on their own, but you have to take that first step. I think that our young friend here has a shot, simply because he's willing to put in the work, teacher or no teacher. As long as he keeps pushing himself and keeps the fundamentals in mind, he WILL improve on his own.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Or he goes to university packaged "as is". Then the prof does whatever he can, which may be a little or a lot. If there in fact are no major playing issues, this is fine. If there are, then according to my view of things, 6 months is not a deciding factor. It is just a bitch when you don't get in ensembles because you have been moved back to square one. We can't assume that this will happen however.

Based on this thread, I can only say "good luck". Come back and let us know if you do ever take a "next step"!

10. Nealium

Nealium New Friend

Jan 9, 2015
    Vulgano, I'm just going to keep up with my Clarke, maybe get a few more technical books, and breathe as often as I can. The solution to a wall is to break it down, so I guess I'm going to do it brick by brick until I get my professor to put 5 more behind it. Haha.