Getzen 490 Bb

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Artemisia, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Artemisia

Artemisia Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2009
    Austria
    First of all, hello to all the trumpeting birds and blokes out there!

And here is my question:
    Could anybody PLEASE provide some useful pics of a Getzen 490 Bb trumpet (clear laqueur). Imho, the images on the Getzen homepage aren't very useful to get a good impression of what the instrument looks like in reality.

Greetings from Austria and thanks in advance!

2. Artemisia

Jan 24, 2009
    Austria
    Bump.

3. Artemisia

Jan 24, 2009
    Austria
    I was just wondering whether this is the real look of the trumpet - you know, this one here is some kind of press pic, for advertising purposes ... so I was thinking of finding some private pics (pics of people who have this trumpet) so that I can see whether the horn looks like this in real life as well.

However, thanks a lot for this enlarged pic.

4. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I have seen many a Getzen 300 which is not thr 390 and the 490 is just an upgraded 390 so yes a new one still in the plastic wrap will look exactly like that. Sure the color will vary a tad from lot to lot each time remix the bulk lacquer but you would have to have keen eye's to see any variation from the photo. If you like you can order them with conventional water key's and I would recomend that personely as the conventional water keys are less like to cause you any problems. I am not a fan or Armando water keys when the old style works so good and never sticks or goes flying across the room etc....Their is no difference in cost to order it with regular water key's.

5. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    So Schwab have you ever seen conventional water key's stick? Have you ever seen them go flying across the room because the bolt holding them in place sheared or snaped in half???? Have you ever had to take a conventional water key apart because it would not open or close other then from a bad spring???? I doubt you have. So while trendy as you might think Armondo's are they are a solution in need of a problem! They do not do anything that a far simpler and more reliable water key already does fine. So if something is more complicated andhas more failure path's and does nothing to improve ont he end purpose of it job (let water out of the trumpet) then by default it is a poor design. Water does not even flow from them as well as on a regular style so what is the point? They are trendy and have a different look and that is all that can be said for them. ANy nonesense about better airflow is better sound is unjustified and not supported by history or science as makeing a significant difference. If it did then everyone would use them. DO they work sure they work as does the Saturn water key but it is not in any way an improvement on more traditional designs. So since it has a track record of failing or falling apart more often then the regular styles why opt for them if you have a choice (bareing your like of them for atestic reasons).

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    It is the "Moon no it is the Sun tis the Moon I say"LOL

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    I've not had any difficulty with AMADO keys. I have horns with the traditional water keys, too.

8. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    Below are some pictures that should be taken with a real 490.
    Getzen trumpets, new trumpet, used trumpet,

One thingyou can do is to press both the AMADO keys at the same time with ease. I don't think you can do that comfortable with the classic keys.

Enjoy

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  9. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    No they are just not a good design and are not built that well. If they where being built with really high quality materials they could made to function great. Brass body with heat treated stainless steel riding on stainless steel or ceramic button riding on hardened steel etc.....Maybe lined with a non-corrsive non-reactive lineing like teflon. Use high qualty spring and a better way of secureing the guts then a circlip onthe back side. Maybe a screw so that the average Joe could take it apart and clean it on their own so that they did not stick. Even the Chineese saw the need to get rid of the circlip and put a screw ont he back side. They do look nice I will give you that but so can a conventional water key if they are not made as cheap as possable. My Getzen's conventional water keys will be replaced because they are cheap and ugly. I am probably going to use some from Schilkes because I like thier and they are still being made so easy to source. If that one guy does get Amando keys I would serious like to use his old water key's on my Getzen. The French trumpet makers have traditionaly had some really cool and sexy looking water keys... Then you have the vintage Martin's like the Commettie withthe side style water key's. When simplicity can be sleek and sexy it does not have to mundane. I like things that work and work almost all the time. Seeing how my Getzen though is from 1965 I wouldlike to think they have improved on their water key's since then and have made them less cheaply!

10. Gaucho Viejo

Gaucho Viejo Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2008
    Palouse, Washington
    I bought a Getzen Series 300 in 1976. That's 33 years ago. When I oiled my valves I also put one drop of valve oil on each Amado water key opening and pushed the button to allow the oil to penetrate. I have had no trouble with my Amado water keys even though there have been long stretches of time when I haven't touched the 300 (I'm talking years). I like traditional water keys but I don't think one can say Amados are poorly designed or shoddily assembled.