Getzen 900 Series Eterna

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Jazzman, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Does anyone play a Getzen Eterna 900 Bb? If so, please post a review, as I have a student who may want one.....I have never played one of these horns. Also, what do they cost new? THANKS!! :lol:

2. joe brown

joe brown New Friend

Jan 16, 2004
    atlanta,ga/st. croix usvi
    I owned a older Severinsen Eterna 900 back a few years ago. Great sound kind of hard to blend with other horns. Great lead/solo horn. A bright horn. Easy to play.

3. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hi jazzman,

I bought a new Eterna 900 Classic in April of last year. I paid $985 for mine in clear lacquer. Last year I was posting more over at the TH and submitted a review at that site. Since you asked the question here, I'll give you the major points.

1) Quality was very good. My only complaint was that the polishing was a little uneven. In silverplate you would never know.

2) Valves were excellent of course. They work equally well with standard Getzen oil or Blue Juice.

3) The blow was very free for a .460 bore horn.

4) Intonation was very good and much better than the Eterna 700s I used to own.

4) Tone was bright and "zingy". This will never be a classical horn. :wink:

5) It is a lighter-weight horn and tends to have more flexibility than slotting. It is easy to play...reminds me of a nice Olds Ambassador I played a couple weeks ago.

6) It came with the traditional Eterna hard case with interior music compartment. That would be a nice feature for a student who has lesson books and sheet music.

If I can answer any other questions, please feel free to ask. Be well.

4. thecaptian12975

thecaptian12975 New Friend

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I play a Severinsen model its the best trumpet ive ever played amazing valves tone range and free blowing.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too, play an Eterna 900 - mine is a 1973 model in lacquer so I'm not sure if it can be called a Classic Eterna. I concur with ALL the other comments, a nice horn, plenty of 'feedback' from the horn presumably due to it's rather lightweight build. It dings fairly easily and because of this I would suggest a silverplated version for your student - just a little more robust and certainly more resistant to damage during cleaning.

In previous posts I have mentioned the difficulty I have had with my tradesman type hands that I have and the relationship of the trumpet to my left hand. You need to hold an Eterna to recognise my (slight) difficulty spreading my fingers 2 up x 2 down in front of the valve casing. Certainly a better sound than the 700, but that doesn't make the 700 a poor horn, rather the contrary. I feel that the 700 Eterna is very fine value for money and ideal for an advancing student. IMHO the 700 is a better bet than the 900 for a student. I own both a new (2000) 700SP Eterna and my 900 Eterna (1973).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  6. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey

I agree with most of what Joe says except for the possiblity of blending. I have a 1972 Severinsen. It came with two bores for the tuning slide. 458 and 460.

Using the 460 provides a rounder ,fuller tone and easier slotting at lower registers.

However, the choice of mouthpiece is key. Sure the horn is light, but how you play it and your own style and characteristics can take the horn from classical, to big band, jazz, horn section lead quite comfortabely.

For Classical I use the 460 bore with a Bach 7c mouthpiece, especially if I am playing many passages at low c and below.

Then depending on the setting and the piece I will substitute with the 458 and use an olds 3 or bach 5c. Whatever the music calls for and my own abilities can deliver with the configuration.

For me it is a good horn with a wide range of moods and sounds.

7. rolling360

rolling360 New Friend

Dec 3, 2007
    Are you looking to compare the "post" Severinsen Eternas (meaning not stamped Eterna By Getzen Severinsen Model) with the newer Classic model?

Not including the Severinsen,

I perfer the early model Eterna By Getzen (1980's era). They seem to be more open (free blowing) with great intonation. They project well with a focused sound that is brite, but not overley brite. I find they are very versital and blend well in most settings.

The Eterna Classic (Ive only owned one) was very tight and just sounded fair. I was not impressed. And yes, this is the first time I have ever said anything other the positive about a Getzen. It may have just been my horn. The Classic must be a decent horn if the University of Wisconsin has all thier trumpet players play them.

8. gson_mc17

gson_mc17 New Friend

Mar 20, 2009
    iv had one for about 8 years now. looking to sell it since i dont play anymore

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I played a 1975 Eterna to the point of eating through the left side tubing between the 1st and 2nd valve. Bright, yeah, but not "tinny." With my Monette B1 mouthpiece that brightness turned into a sparkle that I've gotten out of no other horn.

They are horns with a personality.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  10. sayluvee

sayluvee New Friend

Mar 19, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have a getzen eterna that I have played for many years successfully - I hate the water keys - but otherwise I am very happy the tone is bright and especially in the sea of bach's that seem to the "must have".