Getzen - a new era

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Apr 16, 2013.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Just received this press release:
    In 1939, T.J. Getzen took the bold step of starting the Getzen Company in a converted barn behind the family home in Elkhorn, Wisconsin. That year, a rich family tradition in the musical instrument business was born. A tradition that continues on to this day, nearly 75 years later.

Following that heritage, Brett and Adam Getzen, the great-grandsons of the company’s founder, are proud to announce that, effective February 13, 2013, they have purchased the Getzen Company from their father Tom Getzen. The sale marks the fourth generation of the Getzen family at the helm of the company. A rarity in the instrument business these days.

Brett and Adam both have several years of experience with the company. Each has worked extensively in the factory since a young age and has been involved in nearly every aspect of instrument manufacturing. Today, Brett’s focus is on sales and marketing while Adam is currently managing production. Both are also heavily involved in research and development as well as quality control.

Tom Getzen will remain an important part of the company as he takes his new position as Chairman of the Board. Brett Getzen will become President with Adam serving as Vice President.

Great to see this company remaining in local, enthusiastic hands.

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Great news for anyone who appreciates the American tradition of quality instruments that stand the test of time. Getzen valves are true works of craftsmanship, and their trumpets are among the best from entry level to professional model. No junk here.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Getzen has always gotten a bad rap: they are "too light" for the Bach camp and "too heavy" for the Schilke camp. Made with pride in the U.S.A. and not answerable to any mega-corporations.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  4. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    So glad to hear Getzen doing well, we need the American spirit in our manufacturing, a very big well done.

5. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Vulgano...my Edwards trumpet is anything but light...It's modular construction allows multiple bell configurations and different leadpipes. I took apart the bell and leadpipe for cleaning. To my astonishment the bell was not that heavy but the valveblock weighed a ton. I think they overbuild the valve casings and plate the pistons very nicely so that wear is an afterthought.

I hope Getzen can keep going a few more generations.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I think the Edwards concept is a brilliant adjunct to R&D. This is not the same as the Olds modular trumpets like the Pinto.

Ranger Trumpets - Contempora Corner

In my senior year of college my parents were in an accident with my '64 Ford Galaxy. They bought me a '74 Ford Pinto station wagon. Not a babe magnet at all.

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    If you ever get the chance to go there, they will make a believer out of you. On my Getzen tour they treated me like royalty and when I proceded to thank them profusely the said it was no big deal, everyone gets the same hospitality. Its a midwestern thing I guess, because I had an instant liking to everyone there. Its nice to have the boss put his name on the instrument, no matter which generation it is. Pride in your product is always better if you sign your name to it before you send it out. Lord knows Im a Getzen fan and Im feeling a group hug comming on! Best wishes.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Check out my signature line too:grouphug:

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Absolutely. I've been a Getzen fan for years, and very much enjoy my Getzen flugel, piccolo and field trumpet.

Mike

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I have just added another Getzen to my family today. It is the Getzen Heritage Bugle - very nice indeed.

Nice story on the family - and hope they keep true to their quality lines.