Getzen - a new era

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Apr 16, 2013.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I purchased my Getzen Flugel a few years ago, the owner had passed away and this was up in his attic. A friend of his brought it in to the music store to sell and I was there when it came in. Gave him $500.00 and he was happy as a clam. He had no idea what he was selling. What a find !
    Turns out it was made during one of the first runs of Flugels Getzen made. By the looks of the valves and interior condition it was not played much. Too bad, because it is the best playing Flugel I’ve ever had my hands on, and I’ve played a lot of them. Best part is it’s in my gig bag now !! : )

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Which Getzen Flugelhorn did you purchase? The Eterna? And if so, 3-valve or 4-valve?

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    WTG to The Getzen Family: one of the good guys for sure!! Loved my 3850 cornet that I sold some years ago. Also I like Capri my cornet that took its place for suiting my needs so well. I went with the Capri because I don't play cornet in an ensemble, and I cannot be without a cornet.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Well, now that you mention it...............

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Hey Gmonady, yep it's an Eterna, 3 valve sn K 4665, according to their production dates and talking to them, they figure 1965. My brother likes it better than his Couesnon flugelhorn. It takes any note you want to give it and there all dead center. It centers so well it took getting used to vs my old Bach ( which is now a lamp : ) if I knew how to put a pic on here I would.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  6. TerryR

TerryR Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2012
    Quakertown PA
    My next musical instrument purchase will now be a Getzen.....that might be a VERY long way off, but it WILL be a Getzen!

7. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    I blame every single one of you! Well, even if you are not to blame, I shall go ahead and include you!

Yup, picked up a LB Severinsen and couldn't be more thrilled. :D

8. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    ...and I'm right there with you Gary...Check out mine too...plus there is a '85 SK series 900S and 2008 Getzen 782S cornet in the quiver not listed.

BTW, the Getzen Custom 3051 .462 Reverse Leadpipe in my signature easily and handily out played any and all Strads that I tested before buying it....plus my Lawler C7 also has Getzen valves. :-)

Best,
    Randy

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Best thing that ever happened to that Bach!!! ROFL

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I know I'm biased, but my 900H may be the best horn I've ever played.