Getzen Bell needs repair - advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jefftrumpet, Feb 21, 2015.

1. jefftrumpet

jefftrumpet New Friend

Feb 4, 2015
    I picked up an excellent shape Getzen Super Deluxe Tone Balanced Cornet today. The only thing that needs attention is the bell - it is a bit crumpled. I have read in some of the other posts that this must be a common thing with these horns - what is that about? Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think it needs. Do i take it to the local repair shop, or need a big time repair shop. Is it reparable? Thanks for the guidance.

Attached Files:

2. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Looks to be repairable from the pictures.

As far as repair shop, I would seek out the best skilled brass tech near you or ship to a good shop in order to get the best results .

If you post your general area (state/city) I'm sure you will get some good suggestions if you have a good shop nearby.

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    very very common on these horns. The brass is very thin and the added support of the tone ring keeps the rim from bending in, rather distributing all the force to the throat, exactly like yours. What would be a very minor bend on most horns turns into a crumple zone on the super deluxe. Repair is possible, but keep in mind it is even more weak now than it was before. No trumpet stands than place the horn on the bell and be very careful. There are many, many techs who can fix this. IF you want it to look like it never happened it would have to be fixed, buffed and refinished. I don't recommend this as it takes even more metal off and isn't financially worth it.

4. jefftrumpet

jefftrumpet New Friend

Feb 4, 2015
    You guys are good. Thanks much. I am in northern IL. Good tip on not putting it on the normal bell trumpet stand. Is there another type of trumpet stand that anyone uses?

5. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    What you have is really a very minor bell crinkle. The thing with this type of damage is that it looks really bad and and causes the layman to freak out. Here is a bell crinkle that came to me a while back . . .

[​IMG]

After about an hour on the bell iron and bell flair mandrel this is what it looked like . . .

[​IMG]

I would say a good tech will do yours in about 15 minutes. It may even come up without any serious lacquer scars as there does not appear to be any creases or folds. I'd be a little wary if someone tries to tell you it's a complicated job and that it will be expensive. It looks like a pretty nice horn. Post a pic when you have it repaired.

6. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
  7. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    The case........:lol:

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Wow. NICE, NICE work. How about a video of your doing that?
    I need to get me a bell mandrel. I'd have to name it "Barbara". You'd have to have a fair number of trips around the sun to get that one...if one wanted.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    PSSSSH!!! Piece of cake repair. Mine was worse and looks fine now.

10. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Thanks. I call mine Howie. You know, I've never owned a video camera and I hardly ever take pics when I'm working on a horn. I tend to focus my efforts and finish in one blast without stopping to set up pics. I did for that one as it was pretty messed up and the situation just seemed to call for it. Most of the work was done on the bell iron. The last bit of rubbing was done on the bell flair mandrel with a regular burnisher.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]