Getzen Custom Series

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Double_G, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    I believe I have made up my mind about which horn I'm getting next year in preparation for college. I am interested in the Getzen Custom Series 3051 with the Large bore (.462) and the reverse leadpipe. Does anybody have any experience with this horn? I'm not talking about with the reverse pipe and bore change, but with the 3051 or quite frankly any of the others in the Custom Series.

2. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    I had the chance to play a Getzen Custom 3051 and 3052, I prefered the 3052 because it has a round crook tunign slide instead of a square that the 3051 has. It's more personal preference. my advice to you is go to your local music store and see if they have a few 3051's and 3052's in stock. play 2 or 3 of each type and pick the one you like the best, each horn is developed for a specific person. A friend of mine went through 9 Bach Strad 180-37's before he found one that was just the right feel for him. Just because they horn is the saem model, doesn't mean that there aren't slight differences!

Have fun and Stick true to Getzen!
    (I really recommened playing, if not buying as well, a Getzen Genesis 3003 while you're there, AMAZING, just wish it cost less)

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Try before you buy.

Also, we're going on a trip to Lawler before you buy. I just think you should try them before you commit.

Van

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I think Getzen's are really under rated. I borrowed a friend's Getzen Eterna cornet last year for a few things and it felt great. A guy at school here has one of the nw B flats and plays very smooth. Sorry I don't know anthing about specific models, but as a brand, two thumbs up.

-Jimi

5. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Yeah -- I have a "Custom Shop" Trumpet in C. It does everything it's supposed to do; v nice!

Robert Rowe

6. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    I took a student up to Groth music in Bloomington, MN a couple years ago and they settled on that particular model (after playing everything from Bach to Yamaha and in between). It was quite a horn.

I played it as well and was very impressed. I think I still liked my Renaissance better, but they don't make that horn anymore.

However, I am of like mind with everyone else here -- try everything out first. I'm partial to Getzen, but I did help one student select a Yamaha and another a Bach...it really depends on you the player.

(And regarding the Gensis...I did get to try one out...WOW. If the Monettes are better than this I'm dying to try one).

7. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Thanks for the advice everyone. And Van I'm just waiting for you to tell me when we are going. And I'm going to ask my step-dad to take me to the Getzen company factory in Wisconsin to try horns. He likes to travel so I thinkI could work that out. How do they run the factory tours up there?

8. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    I never had a factory tour, but I have had a lot of comunication with them. VERY friendly people always willing to help you out.

9. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Now, I dont want to be taken as a Getzen basher. :D

My Frankenhorn used the valve body of a very nice Getzen Severinson whose leadpipe had succumbed to red rot. I traded the Severinson bell for an old L.A. Benge bell (Still waiting to be used).

The Severinson Eterna was one of the most respected horns of the time. Heck, I saw why when I played this horn. Great sound, though a bit too bright for everything I wanted (I think heavy caps would have helped).

The valves are still really good. I just wish I had a 1st slide hook.

Heck, Andrew's Intermediate Getzen is not a bad horn. Its actually designed to look like an Old Severinson! I just think that because it is built for a smaller instrumentalist he is being cheated a bit now that he is all growed-up. :D

Andrew, just keep me updated on the horn situation. When you start getting REAL close to the purchase, I will schedule the field trip.

Van