Getzen Doc Sev. model

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Dave Mickley, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have to play an outdoor concert tomorrow and since I got rid of my back up horn [Besson 10-10] I got my wife's old Getzen [early 70's] out of the closet. I didn't want to take my C7 so I oiled the valves and does that little puppy play. I never realized what a good horn that old Getzen was, will have to start playing it more often. Dave

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah I agree Dave, I wish I still had mine.

New in 1968, a great, great playing trumpet!

-cw-

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Dave, you are lucky to have a good playing horn you could "take out of the closet" for your gig. My wife plays flute, so she's no help. Fortunately, I have enough horns to cover my situations. The old Czech horn is a suprisingly good player, used it in concert band rehearsal last nite. We have four outdoor concerts coming up.
    Actually, I wish I could have afforded your 10-10 when it was up for sale.:-(

4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I just recently played one of those horns in a music store. A nice horn. I remember being unimpressed, however, with the fir and finish of the horn overall. I could be mistaken with another horn I recall playing the same day.

5. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Still have my vintage '67 Severinsen Eterna - valves are still great! While probably not what I'd lust after given the horns out on the market today - but still have to rate it as a good overall horn. It's still more capable than I am!!!!

Enjoy playing that old friend.

6. B

B New Friend

Jan 19, 2004
    Northshore of Boston
    69 Severinsen here use it in high school for marching and stage band ( jazz& big band) I used my Bach 37 for concert and brass choir.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Aren't they all? - trumpets are full of fabulous music - the trick is to get it out.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Getzen Eterna Severinsen models were built when hardly any companies were going that last mile on fit and finish. They are very dependable workhorses with a light and brilliant sound. Easy to play, but perhaps not the thickness needed for many symphonic situations.

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    the Getzen has an easier upper register [no more range, just easier] and has a brighter sound that works better in a big band setting than concert band but over all I like the C7 better. The C7 has a richer sound with more core but I want to keep it pristine and will use Getzen in venues where there is a chance of bumping my horn. Dave

10. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    I have never come across a Getzen that wasn't put together very well.