Getzen Eterna 800 LB

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Tootsall, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    So I have this here cornet I picked up off Ebay a year and a bit ago. And it's not really in bad shape at all, but there are a couple of dent "memories" and some really shoddy soldering work (probably someone once sat on it and bent the 3rd slide or some such). It plays SUPERBLY (as this model is wont to do) and was built in 1972 (one of the best years for Getzen).

I send an email with pics to Leigh and have to bug the he11 out of him but he finally comes across with a price to do a restoration, mild customization, scratch finish and gold plate. Then this contest comes along and he confuses the he11 out of me (probably a return for what I did to him) by offering an ALTERNATE 2nd prize (and 3rd... heya there sd).

Well of course I say that I want BOTH prizes... and I want the cornet to be refinished to MATCH an Eclipse trumpet. A few months of watching the expenses and the moolah is stowed away. I send the Getzen off to see "the Man". This is what it looked like when it went over (not that bad, eh?)
    [​IMG]

Anyway he proceeds to perform his magic on it.
    [​IMG] and rips it apart!

After converting the 1st slide to one that can actually be adjusted "on the fly", changing over the Getzen 3rd stopper to an Eclipse model, pulling the dents out and adding the Eclipse finger ring and pinky hook it's ready for the platers.

[​IMG].

I hope to be able to post a photo or two later this weekend of the finished product.

Oh yeah... about the Eclipse trumpet (MR version) that is going to match it? Here it is...ready to go into the dunk tank alongside the cornet.

[​IMG]

Almost seems a shame to cover it up with gold plating, doesn't it?

2. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    your killing me - I was thinkng I was going to see pics of it in a million pieces and being worked on!

When are you mailing this one to him?

-marc

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ha Ha.... check again. It's there and it's been in the plating tank all day today! I'll have both of 'em in my dirty little fingers when I get back from Easter break. (if the Lord is willing and Canada Customs cooperates).

Here's a shot of the 1st slide conversion:

[​IMG]

and here's what the 3rd slide stopper looks like instead of the Getzen plastic "thingie"

[​IMG]

4. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    do you have one with the getzen ready to drop in the tank? or is he hiding it from you to suprise us all?

-marc

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Marc, I think that'd be the picture in the first post.... notice the tape wrapped around various bits and pieces? (unless that was simply to protect them during the "scratch" process). I had a chat with Leigh this afternoon after work (my time) and he said he'd have more pix tomorrow or Sunday... depends when I "catch up to him" on Messenger.

Oh... sorry about the size of the pix...if it's a real problem I can resize them and repost.

6. KevininGeorgia

KevininGeorgia New Friend

Dec 15, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    WOW.. It's going to look great.. I'm thinking about having all my Getzen Brass Band Horns ( Eb, Bb, Flugel) done in Satin Silver with Gold Accents..
    Dumb question.. on the 70's Getzens How do you tell if the Cornet's are Large bore.. is there an L some where ??

Kevin

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
  8. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hiya Ed!

All the work is now completed, and i must say that the Getzen Eterna Cornet looks just fantastic!

IF i could play
    If i played cornet
    If i couldnt get an Eclipse Cornet :wink:

THEN i'd get one of those !!!!

Regards

Leigh (exhausted !! in England)

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    OK Kids, here come the photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Oh yeah.... Leigh DID happen to run one of his MR Eclipses through the dunk tank at the same time. I won't bore you with pictures of it all alone. But here are some of the "twins"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another Eclipse owner happens to have been getting some additional work done. I won't say who (I'll leave that for him), but here's a shot of some real brass

[​IMG]