Getzen Eterna flugelhorn slotting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vince, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Vince

Vince New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Newmarket, ON, Canada
    I just picked up a Getzen Eterna Flugel. Early "70's. I've never tried a flugelhorn before and hope someone could answer a couple questions regarding this instrument.
    I find that I love the tone and the valve action but feel that it is a bit more difficult to slot or lock on notes as my well as my trumpet does. Is this typical of a flugelhorn?
    I have pulled the second valve slide out and found the the valve alignment is off by at least 1/8". Could this be part of the problem I wonder.
    Also if someone could recomend a mouth piece that works well with this horn it would be appreciated. Nothing fancy just something to get started on. Presently using a deep cone mouthpiece without any markings on it that gives the tone and texture I like but find it to have too thin a rim or should I say too sharp a n edge contour.

Lastly I have found a bit of pitting on a couple of the valves that has eaten through the plating. Is this common with older Getzen horns?
    I guess I shouldn't pack too many questions into a single post so I'll stop here.
    Looking forward to your comments, thanks.

Vince

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I find that I love the tone and the valve action but feel that it is a bit more difficult to slot or lock on notes as my well as my trumpet does. Is this typical of a flugelhorn?
    is typical for players not used to deep mouthpieces

I have pulled the second valve slide out and found the the valve alignment is off by at least 1/8". Could this be part of the problem I wonder.
    No, this is only old felts - a really cheap fix by any music tech!

Also if someone could recomend a mouth piece that works well with this horn it would be appreciated. Nothing fancy just something to get started on.
    The same mouthpiece rim size that you have now - with a flugelhorn shank and deep vee cup.

Lastly I have found a bit of pitting on a couple of the valves that has eaten through the plating. Is this common with older Getzen horns?
    No, it is typical for players with high acidity in their sweat regardless of brand!

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Robin/Vince - would this be a time to contact Getzen about their lifetime valve warranty, and perhaps ask for suggestions?

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree that a flugelhorn is more difficult to control than the trumpet. I would recommend trying out a comfortable mouthpiece first. I have a getzen Eterna and find that their (Getzen's) traditional deep mouthpiece, the 3C works well. I have learned to control this horn well with this mouthpiece, and I use shallows on my trumpet. Go figure.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Since it was made in the 70's, the valves would not be covered. I wrote Mary @ Getzen and this is what she told me. 1991 is the 1st year covered by the lifetime transferable warranty. As far as the plating, my 900H did the same thing. Just wipe it down when you are done. I now wear a glove on my left hand to help with the problem. Now people want to know where they can get a glove like mine! ROFLROFL

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Most mouthpiece manufacturers make flugel mouthpieces with the same rim as their trumpet mouthpieces,only with cup,throat,and back bore for flugel horn. Just make sure you tell them what brand and model you're using,because they all have different mouthpiece tapers.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The Michael Jackson method of trumpet care. "Beat it! Just beat it ...!":lol:

Turtle

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have them (gloves) in black and white depending on the occasion.;-)

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Congratulations on the new horn! I also have a 1970's Getzen 4-valve flugelhorn. For me, it's a great horn.

I sometimes use a small towel in my left hand when I play my flugel or piccolo, but this can be cumbersome. The glove is a nice idea. Does anyone make a valve guard for a 4-valve flugel (or piccolo)?