Getzen Eterna flugelhorn slotting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vince, Apr 26, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Seriously though, I went with the gloves because a "custom" valve guard was cost prohibitive (for my tilted bell) and you than have to be concerned about the effect of the guard on the horn. Cotton marching gloves seem to have no negative effect on the horn and they are cheap and washable.

2. trumpetman41

trumpetman41 Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    Getzen makes a very good Flugelhorn. I have had one for a long time. Yes, you may not be able to play as high as your trumpet, but then it's not a trumpet. I get around on mine very well. The range is ample for the songs I used it on. Nice and mellow and not to bright.
    I use a bach 3c flugel mouthpiece..

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Again, from the Michael Jackson memorabilia collection. Remember he was known as the "gloved one". Fingering through the studded sequins may make playing be-bop a bit difficult.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Michael Jackson memorabilia auctions, perchance? ;-) Damn, didn't read all the previous posts before I posted, S O R R Y.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  5. Vince

Vince New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Newmarket, ON, Canada
    Thanks everyone for your input.
    Rowuk I believe you are correct about not being used to the deeper mouthpiece. I seem to have less difficulty after playing it for a while. Mpc comment makes sense as well, I'll probably try the 3C as recommended by the Getzen owners.
    The acidic sweat makes sense as well. The previous owner definitely was an acidic person since he managed to corrode off the lacquer and into the brass wherever his hands touched the horn. The pitting I was referring to was on the valve pistons so I guess it had its effect both internally and externally. I initially thought he had given it an acid bath or something because the inside of the bell also had some corrosion on it.
    The valve alignment I'll take care of myself with some proper felts.
    Thanks for the glove advice but I think I'll pass on wearing one of those. Besides sequins just aren't my thing.

Thanks again everyone.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You can soak cheap cotton gloves in coffee so they don't stand out too much - they become more skin toned - the strength of the coffee obviously can vary the depth of toning to suit your ethnicity too, and often the cheap gloves can be used on either hand - so one pair gives you 2 x left gloves (or 2 x right gloves, or one of each).

Don't write off the glove idea - it's cheap and very effective.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Glad you mentioned the gloves are ambidextrous. They fit either hand (although the "fancy part" is inside for the right glove) equally well. After 4 yrs., I've become numb to the MJ references.:cool:

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

tobylou8 and Vulgano Brother like this.
  9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Tell them to buy a Chinese trumpet - and then throw away the trumpet and keep the gloves.:thumbdown: